starting residency late

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by Naijagirl, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Naijagirl

Naijagirl Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hello,

I wanted to find out my options for starting IM residency late, I will appreciate any input on where to get information, how do I make the schools know that I will be starting at a latter time, how late is too late, is 2months behind too late, because that will be my stand right now, please any body who went through starting their intern year late, how was it? what was your experience?

-Thanks

2. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This forum is for the posting of open positions, not for general residency questions.

Moving to Gen Res Forum.

3. Does your program know you won't be able to start with the rest of your class? Did you give them a reason?

4. BlondeDocteur

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This happens sometimes, especially when visa issues or advanced pregnancy come into play. If you don't have a good reason, though, I wouldn't expect people to be too sympathetic.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner
    Moderator Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If we are talking about this July, then yeah, you're probably too late. They will be pissed, unless this is something that just happened.

6. Good point above - if your program already knows about this and had planned for it, that's one thing. But if they don't yet know that you'll be showing up a month or two late...well that's a totally separate issue.

7. Winged Scapula

Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm confused.

In another thread you state that you just found out that you are pregnant and are due in December. If you are due in December, why will you be starting residency two months late? Are you taking two months off from school so will not be graduating until August?

If this is the case, you have no choice but to tell programs when you interview that you are not set to graduate until X, and cannot therefore start residency until Y. If they are willing to consider this, they will let you know. If not, then there isn't much you can do except either to find a position outside of the match or sit out a year.

8. orientedtoself

orientedtoself resident
    5+ Year Member

maybe she's an ms3, due for dec of ms4 year, taking a couple of months off and then off schedule.

9. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    That's what I was thinking because she talks about being pregnant while interviewing in another thread.