starting residency late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naijagirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to find out my options for starting IM residency late, I will appreciate any input on where to get information, how do I make the schools know that I will be starting at a latter time, how late is too late, is 2months behind too late, because that will be my stand right now, please any body who went through starting their intern year late, how was it? what was your experience?

-Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Does your program know you won't be able to start with the rest of your class? Did you give them a reason?

This happens sometimes, especially when visa issues or advanced pregnancy come into play. If you don't have a good reason, though, I wouldn't expect people to be too sympathetic.

If we are talking about this July, then yeah, you're probably too late. They will be pissed, unless this is something that just happened.

Good point above - if your program already knows about this and had planned for it, that's one thing. But if they don't yet know that you'll be showing up a month or two late...well that's a totally separate issue.

I'm confused.

In another thread you state that you just found out that you are pregnant and are due in December. If you are due in December, why will you be starting residency two months late? Are you taking two months off from school so will not be graduating until August?

If this is the case, you have no choice but to tell programs when you interview that you are not set to graduate until X, and cannot therefore start residency until Y. If they are willing to consider this, they will let you know. If not, then there isn't much you can do except either to find a position outside of the match or sit out a year.

maybe she's an ms3, due for dec of ms4 year, taking a couple of months off and then off schedule.