Starting residency without Prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NUgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a HUGE predicament. I have been unable to secure a prelim opening. I was only able to look in the chicago area because my husband is a PGY3 and has one more year to go and we have a 7 mo old baby that I am obviously not going to leave for a year. I have an advanced position that I would be devastated to give up. There are no current openings for internship in Chicago and my dean is not being too proactive in helping me. Do you know if hospitals are allowed to request to take one more resident? (If they are, I would work harder on my dean to do something more!)

I would like to know, if I am unable to secure a position by the starting deadline, is there any way that I can start my advanced position without an internship? Would I be able to do the internship after completing residency?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated! TIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Contact the PD for your advanced position and see if they can come up with anything for you.

A lot of people say to contact the PD to see what they can do. What can they possibly do? What are the options?

A lot of people say to contact the PD to see what they can do. What can they possibly do? What are the options?

They can:

- see if they can find you a Prelim position at that program (of course, this may entail you leaving your husband and baby if the Advanced position is out of Chicago)

- they may allow you to defer your Advanced position for another year

- they may know some other PDs in your area and can make some calls for you

You have a big problem and you need to do whatever it takes to get a Prelim position, because the second option above is probably unlikely and without a Prelim position, some programs (many, if not all) will not allow you to start. Contact your future PD and let him know what is going on, if only to give him heads up that he may have to start looking for someone to replace you next year.

As I recall, you matched into Psychiatry - they may be able to allow you to complete your PGY1 Prelim rotations during your Psych residency (extending it of course).

BTW, closing the thread here and reminding you that its a SDN Terms of Service Violation to post essentially the same question in multiple forums (most of us read Gen Residency, ERAS/Match and Internship forums as well).

best of luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.