Starting Salary for Hematologist/Oncologist in Private Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Old Fellow

Reaction score
Hello,
What is the typical range of starting salary for hematologist/oncologist in private practice especially in the Midwest?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no exact answer to that question, depends on what model they use, is it a true private practice? is there any hospital affiliation? are they part of a system like US Oncology or Kaiser? also depends on the location.

- General rule for private practice, if you are near or in a major city- base salary is low: think 200-275k starting. Depending on productivity you
could make more. If there is a partnership track then you make even more after 3-5 years.

- For hospital/private hybird model: starting salary might be higher, think 300-350K range, earning potential might be hindered based on the RVU base and goal they placed for you.

- For private practice in more remote areas i.e >2hrs drive from a major city (by major I mean places like Chicago) your looking at higher
salaries, but out of fellowship I doubt many places other than like North Dakota, Nebraska, Alaska etc with start around 400K or more.

PS: when looking at contracts look in detail of their payment model, as base might be higher some places but what you actually end up makeing might be lower.

Hope this helps

There is no exact answer to that question, depends on what model they use, is it a true private practice? is there any hospital affiliation? are they part of a system like US Oncology or Kaiser? also depends on the location.

- General rule for private practice, if you are near or in a major city- base salary is low: think 200-275k starting. Depending on productivity you
could make more. If there is a partnership track then you make even more after 3-5 years.

- For hospital/private hybird model: starting salary might be higher, think 300-350K range, earning potential might be hindered based on the RVU base and goal they placed for you.

- For private practice in more remote areas i.e >2hrs drive from a major city (by major I mean places like Chicago) your looking at higher
salaries, but out of fellowship I doubt many places other than like North Dakota, Nebraska, Alaska etc with start around 400K or more.

PS: when looking at contracts look in detail of their payment model, as base might be higher some places but what you actually end up makeing might be lower.

Hope this helps

Thanks You