Starting salary for VA optometrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drumstix

Got room for 1 more if you still wanna go to Aspen
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know what the starting salary is for an OD in the VA in lets say "Rest of United States" region (see attached pdf or go here: https://www.va.gov/OHRM/Pay/2018/CPOC/RUS.pdf) ?

I was looking at that chart and wasn't sure if a fresh OD would start at the lowest of the low? At "level 1" or whatever that is in the "Associate" row making $61,218? Is that how it works?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• RUS.pdf
    24.5 KB · Views: 95
This is also still new to me but I've also heard you start off an an associate and then work up to the next tiers as time passes.
As far as the rest of the US it depends on location. The "rest of the US" is considered anything that isn't within a "locality pay area" on this list. Title 38 Pay Schedules - Office of Human Resources Management (OHRM)
Your pay will be different if you work in Las Angeles vs Miami since they have different salary tables.

You can check which areas are within local pay areas on here: Locality Pay Area Definitions
For ex, if you live in New York you would click NY on here, and then check if your work is in any of the places listed under NY.
If it does fall under the NY list then you would go to this page: Title 38 Pay Schedules - Office of Human Resources Management (OHRM) and click optometrist, then New York to find the correct salary table. If it did not fall under a "locality pay area" then you would use the "rest of the US" table instead.

Or say you work in a VA located in Bangor, ME you would fall under "rest of the US" salary since it doesn't have a specific salary table for it/not classified within a locality pay area in Maine.

usajobs.gov usually has a lot of listings which some are VA jobs.

Seems like its $75-$100K but you get a lot of good benefits. No weekends, retirement, health insurance etc.

You don't work at the VA to become rich but it can be a solid job for sure.