Starting Salary Survey 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccxc007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw the thread from 2019 (HERE) that had a lot of insightful info. The contract variations are countless and what looks like a big number on paper can turn out to be much a much smaller realized. I'm interested in what people have on their plate this year, if COVID is having any impacts, and hope those with experience might provides their insights.

Members don't see this ad.

Saw the thread from 2019 (HERE) that had a lot of insightful info. The contract variations are countless and what looks like a big number on paper can turn out to be much a much smaller realized. I'm interested in what people have on their plate this year, if COVID is having any impacts, and hope those with experience might provides their insights.

No major changes.
Base: $300,000
Productivity is worth up to $100,000
5 weeks off
Employer eventually wants to decrease base and pay per wRVU which my partners and I are resisting but that negotiation won't take place for another year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have an offer for the an employed position with the opportunity to go private later in a large Midwest city:
18 month base 310k or the greater of $48 wRVU
Followed by just $48 wRVU for the next 18 months.
Call is 1:4-5 with midwife coverage so some of that is second call
Various stipends and bonuses as well.

Thoughts on the salary? Is $48 per wRVU pretty standard or low compared to others?

Reactions: 1 users
48 per RVU is 6458 RVU roughly which seems a bit high for starting out but below the median which is ~6900 for a generalist , if there’s a high volume it’s doable i did about 8000 RVU in my 2nd year out but that’s a lot of urodynamics, endoanal ultrasound and PNE and I’m the only one who does what I do in the 2 counties where I work. So if you’re basically unopposed or there’s a ton of work needing to be done you should exceed 310 in your first year. I don’t know about $48 per RVU, I’ve head average is $42 per rvu so by that metric you’re above average. That’s just one source though

I don’t understand that employed but opportunity to go private later. Usually an employed position by the hospital does not change into a PP job unless you quit employed position and switch into PP or by employed you mean you’ve joined a PP group as an associate and have chance to be partner. The latter is better I think but I’m in academics so possibly not the best judge of financial opportunity 😉

48 per RVU is 6458 RVU roughly which seems a bit high for starting out but below the median which is ~6900 for a generalist , if there’s a high volume it’s doable i did about 8000 RVU in my 2nd year out but that’s a lot of urodynamics, endoanal ultrasound and PNE and I’m the only one who does what I do in the 2 counties where I work. So if you’re basically unopposed or there’s a ton of work needing to be done you should exceed 310 in your first year. I don’t know about $48 per RVU, I’ve head average is $42 per rvu so by that metric you’re above average. That’s just one source though

I don’t understand that employed but opportunity to go private later. Usually an employed position by the hospital does not change into a PP job unless you quit employed position and switch into PP or by employed you mean you’ve joined a PP group as an associate and have chance to be partner. The latter is better I think but I’m in academics so possibly not the best judge of financial opportunity
Yeah, it’s an interesting set up. The physicians the hospital employs are planning to go private soon, the hospital CEO knows about it and is in support of it, would waive my noncompete if I join them after my original guarantee and I’ll have that in my contract.

Regarding the wRVU rate, I doubt I would pull in the sort of business you’re talking about. I’m more than willing to work my butt off, but the other physicians im joining are VERY well regarded in the area and have huge patient bases that I’m sure will only want to see them.

Have an offer for the an employed position with the opportunity to go private later in a large Midwest city:
18 month base 310k or the greater of $48 wRVU
Followed by just $48 wRVU for the next 18 months.
Call is 1:4-5 with midwife coverage so some of that is second call
Various stipends and bonuses as well.

Thoughts on the salary? Is $48 per wRVU pretty standard or low compared to others?

How many deliveries per month and year?
Average OBGYN does about 150.

The median RVUs nationwide is ~6800 but for the Midwest the median is ~6300.

How much PTO? That is worth a decent bit.
Also, who pays your tail if you leave? This is important.

Regarding the conversion factor for the rvus:

From the spreadsheet I attached, 48/rvu is below the median. This is national data though.

I have another spreadsheet from a contract negotiating company that is more region specific. I have not attached that one though.

For the Midwest, median is $57 while 25th percentile is $50.

‐-----------------------------

Overall, the contract is ok but it is hard to interpret without knowing your clinical load and the value of the stipends etc.

Attachments

• ! National MGMA Benchmarks_2019 (1).pdf
    83.6 KB · Views: 218