Starting Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaspberryPharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is your starting salary and where? I just got an offer at Wag and they're offering $56/hour.

Members don't see this ad.

$45 an hour, 2004, OSCO drug decatur illinois

not relevant to this discussion :)

Reactions: 1 user
$44 an hour, 2013, not really pleased but that is normal range for this area.

Members don't see this ad :)
$5hr cash tutoring the kid next door on reading sometime in the 90's.

Reactions: 1 users
$5hr cash tutoring the kid next door on reading sometime in the 90's.
I remember when I started flipping burgers, it was $4.25 minimum wage back in the 90s. And how i sucked at flipping burgers....lol, ah the memories, can't help but to smile.

I remember when I started flipping burgers, it was $4.25 minimum wage back in the 90s. And how i sucked at flipping burgers....lol, ah the memories, can't help but to smile.

How do you “suck” at flipping burgers? Did you drop every other patty on the floor? You do realize there’s a 5-second rule, right? On top of that, there’s also a 5-minute grace period for when the drive-thru gets backed up. ;)

How do you “suck” at flipping burgers? Did you drop every other patty on the floor? You do realize there’s a 5-second rule, right? On top of that, there’s also a 5-minute grace period for when the drive-thru gets backed up. ;)

You know those frozen patties that go into one end of the the giant fiery grill and come out the other end? Well, it comes out dripping hot oil, so you pick them them up with tongs and make burgers out of them. Well, I dripped hot oil over the back hand of another girl I was working with during the process.. OUCH! She went home with one hand bandaged, I felt horrible. On top of that, she was pretty and I was secretly admiring her...ah, brain. Yeah, fast food wasn't right for me.

You know those frozen patties that go into one end of the the giant fiery grill and come out the other end? Well, it comes out dripping hot oil, so you pick them them up with tongs and make burgers out of them. Well, I dripped hot oil over the back hand of another girl I was working with during the process.. OUCH! She went home with one hand bandaged, I felt horrible. On top of that, she was pretty and I was secretly admiring her...ah, brain. Yeah, fast food wasn't right for me.

Yeah, the pretty ones almost never last! At least you had some decent stimulations while it lasted. :D You're a safety hazard in the fast food industry, good thing you quit and went for something else with less grease and no fire.

You're a safety hazard in the fast food industry, good thing you quit and went for something else with less grease and no fire.

Yeah, cashier in grocery stores was a much safer for me. Little chance of hurting pretty girls ringing up their buns and melons. :whistle: So I stuck with it all the way until end of high school. :)

Reactions: 2 users
$7.50 an hour but only after becoming licensed. Yes, it was a few years ago.

Yeah, cashier in grocery stores was a much safer for me. Little chance of hurting pretty girls ringing up their buns and melons. :whistle: So I stuck with it all the way until end of high school. :)

Lucky you! All we every had were buns, and never any melons. Fruits are healthier, too... Man, I need some melons. :p

My first job in HS paid $5.15 and hr - that was minimum wage back then.

Hospitals in the greater chicago area are starting new grads at 44-46 an hour ... thats if a new grad can get a job at a hospital

Hospitals in the greater chicago area are starting new grads at 44-46 an hour ... thats if a new grad can get a job at a hospital

dang :vomit::barf::barf::eek: :vomit:

$44 an hour, 2013, not really pleased but that is normal range for this area.

$45 an hour, 2004, OSCO drug decatur illinois

not relevant to this discussion :)

Dred Pirate: it is still relevant: 2004 to 2013/2014 wage is still the same in Chicago area.

note to self: avoid Chicago area like the plague :)

Last edited:
As of last year it was $61-63/hr in retail for N. California/Bay Area; $65-70/hr for clinical/inpatient, with per-diem rates between $73-77/hr. These are all base rates not including any applicable differential (+$3-15/hr depending on shift/hospital).

The two outliers are Contra Costa Regional Medical Ctr which pays ~$40-45/hr FT with caveat being it has a pension/generous benefit package. Washington Hospital in Fremont, CA posted a clinical position for $77/hr FT w/benefits last year (with per diem rates in the $80-$85/hr range).

UCDMC in Sacramento starts at $61/hr for inpatient, UCSF isn't much more. You can research compensation packages for these and other UC hospitals online.

This is all from memory so actual numbers may differ a bit, but you get the idea.