Starting school in August but know I want to do EM...what do I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Throwaway account.

It is quite surprising that more people are not talking about this. I was with a large private EM group (as a scribe) for a long time. It was bought out by a national CMG. Since I already had established relationships, they became pretty candid with me. Physician compensation was slashed by at least 50% on average (more for the faster/younger physicians). Benefits and retirement are still unknown and are in transition. Compensation aside, group moral is essentially non-existent. The CMG keeps boasting about how “you’re still your own group”, etc. But everyone knows they’re full of it. Partners, hell, even friends of many, many years have become fractured. People are leaving, trying to find any democratic position they can, while all the middle-to-older physicians are stuck. CMGs are a cancer to the physician world. .

It was a sad sight to witness. . .

Good luck everyone. . .

Yeah, saw this happen too. Ugly. Some CMG's seem to be relatively benevolent, I rotated at places with CMG operated ED's and the doc's told me they were happy and the places had great retention. Others groups seem to be essentially the evil empire *cough* TeamHealth *cough*

Members don't see this ad.

This is a perfect time to mention AAEM. They are advocates for physician owned democratic EP groups and regularly litigate against and expose CMG badness. Their RSA is cheap to join as a student and they have leadership positions. Plus free EM:RAP podcast. Great organization to support if you find this CMG stuff appalling.

Reactions: 2 users