Starting the summer before?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alacast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many MSTPs offer the option to start during the summer? How many require it? I'm considering applying to a language training program for the summer of 2010 (Rotary Cultural Ambassadors), but that'd be the summer before I start the MSTP.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

It's all program specific. I believe that since the first two years are medical school, you start when the medical school starts. Some start in july, while others don't start until august or maybe even september. I think all MSTP's allow you to start earlier in the summer if you want. I don't think they would stop you if you wanted to do research for 10 weeks before school started.

Almost all schools encourage you to do a summer rotation before medschool starts, but some schools require you to do it. Be sure you know their policy before making a final decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
My experience was that a small number of schools require you to do one. Most schools would be happy to set you up with one if you so desire, but there is definitely no pressure to do one. A few schools will discourage you from doing it. Like the poster above said, its school specific. Just check.

To consider, you will begin your stipend when you begin your summer rotation. You will also have the less stressful opportunity to secure living arrangements, learn the town, meet people, and so on.

To consider, you will begin your stipend when you begin your summer rotation. You will also have the less stressful opportunity to secure living arrangements, learn the town, meet people, and so on.
This is certainly true. But, going straight from graduation to a lab rotation a week later means you won't be getting a chunk of time off for possibly several years. I kind of wish I had taken more than a week off at that point.

My school strongly encourages everyone to do either one 10-week or two 5-week lab rotations during that summer before MS1, but you can get out of it if you tell them in advance (i.e. plans to leave the country already made, a contract at the NIH that isn't up yet).