Starting to get afraid...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

docmd2010

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, not sure if you guys have been following my posts, but here's my concern

i'm prollly gonna end up at a d.o. school next year and i have absolutely no problem with the letters behind my name whatever they may be. i just want to be able to do residency in a respectable instituition of my choice. preferably i'd like to do surgery or radiation oncology. will i be able an allopathic residency? how tough will it be for me to get an allopathic residency being a do? i'd appreciate if you guys would break it down in terms of how hard it really is to get these residencies...itd be cool to see a nice discussion starting here.

an in no way, by any means, am i bashing do's. please do not misinterpret my words. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Worry about your Board Scores 1st....you better be damn near the top scores in the country to match rad onc (MD or DO)...and that depends on YOU...not your degree...

And unless you are one of those rare superstar med-students....most people do not have their choice of residencies at top institutions....you go where you get in...and unless you want to go into academics (research/teaching), no one really cares where you did your residency as long as you're board certified.

If you want some more real-world advice (as in not from an MSI like me) you might be better off in the Residency forums at the bottom of the main forum page.

Members don't see this ad :)
docmd2010 said:
Hey guys, not sure if you guys have been following my posts, but here's my concern

i'm prollly gonna end up at a d.o. school next year and i have absolutely no problem with the letters behind my name whatever they may be. i just want to be able to do residency in a respectable instituition of my choice. preferably i'd like to do surgery or radiation oncology. will i be able an allopathic residency? how tough will it be for me to get an allopathic residency being a do? i'd appreciate if you guys would break it down in terms of how hard it really is to get these residencies...itd be cool to see a nice discussion starting here.

an in no way, by any means, am i bashing do's. please do not misinterpret my words. ;)

I had a similar question that a lot of people chimed in on and it really helped. Some of the info that thread may help answer some of your questions...at least for DO and surgery residencies. I put the link below...

Hope this helps a little.... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=239414

docmd2010 said:

Why not just do an osteopathic residency?

one step at a time bro. get in somewhere first, then worry about passing, then score well on step 1, etc etc...

You already posted this concern in the residency section, and you got very good advice. Why would you now pose this question to people without experience?? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.