STATE Comittees AOA ETC.

Started by jb4teen
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jb4teen

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I'm from Canada and I was just wondering how the different comittees in the States govern optometry. I know thats a broad question, but any info will help. Like the AOA is the most important, is there separate comittees for each state? I don't really understand how each of these associations affect the regular optometrist. Where does the WOA come into this? Is there different regulatory boards for the optometrists and the patients in each state? These are probubly pretty dumb questions, but can anyone help?
 
Like most things, optometry is regualted by the individual state. That means ODs in different states are allowed to do different things. Eg. An OD in Wisconsin can perscripe oral meds, while just across the boarder in Illinois, they can't. The state associations are the major lobby forces in the fights for OD rights. I'm sure others can add a lot more, but that is basics that I understand.