State licensing exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VetMedVetMed

-
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be taking the NAVLE this fall, and our school has not been super helpful on information regarding taking it, and in addition to taking and passing the NAVLE, what to do afterwards depending on where you practice (i.e. taking a state licensing exam). It’s all very confusing and my school has not given us much info at all about this. This may sound like a stupid question, but what is the purpose of having to take the NAVLE if you also have to take a state licensing exam too? Everyone has to pass the NAVLE, but are depending on where you practice, does every single state in the U.S. require you to also take a state licensing exam? I couldn’t find anything aside from this when I googled: Veterinary state board websites.

Are there any states that don’t require a state licensing exam? For example my friends in Maryland said all they had to do was take the Navle... how is that possible?

Also, do you ever need to take exams again once you’ve passed? Or do you have to just renew your license with NAVLE and your state every year by paying a fee or something? Like I said, our school has not given us any info on this and that’s why I’m so confused.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

NAVLE | ICVA Website to lookup at the different state requirements. I am not aware of a single website of document that lists each state individually, you kind of have to figure out where you wanna work and go from there. Myself and another classmate are making a spreadsheet to share based on where we both want to possibly work in the future. Unfortunately you will have to contact/ lookup the states individually.

Reactions: 1 user
NAVLE | ICVA Website to lookup at the different state requirements. I am not aware of a single website of document that lists each state individually, you kind of have to figure out where you wanna work and go from there. Myself and another classmate are making a spreadsheet to share based on where we both want to possibly work in the future. Unfortunately you will have to contact/ lookup the states individually.
Ok, got it. Thank you!

The state exams are primarily based on laws and regulations (with some state exceptions that test disease processes). You shouldn't have to retake a state exam unless you let your license lapse or you move to another state.