state licensing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychintern2006

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on lowest fee states and convenience ? I need to be licensed (in any state) to be able to take oral boards. Don't know what state I will be moving to as of now - so don't want to waste loads of money. And next year will do fellowship (license not required)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any recommendations on lowest fee states and convenience ? I need to be licensed (in any state) to be able to take oral boards. Don't know what state I will be moving to as of now - so don't want to waste loads of money. And next year will do fellowship (license not required)

Convenience? What's wrong with the state you're in now?
Honestly--is there more than a couple of hundred $$$ difference between states? If you're shelling out $3K for boards, what's a few hundred more?

Convenience? What's wrong with the state you're in now?
Honestly--is there more than a couple of hundred $$$ difference between states? If you're shelling out $3K for boards, what's a few hundred more?

NY charges > $800 for registration, I do not plan to stay here after training - found out PA charges $85. With residents salary :( I am tempted to save $$$$

Members don't see this ad :)
NY charges > $800 for registration, I do not plan to stay here after training - found out PA charges $85. With residents salary :( I am tempted to save $$$$

Looks like PA is your answer.

I stand corrected--that's more than a "couple hundred" bucks difference.

So what perks do you get for those extra $$$ in NY? Broadway tickets? :laugh:

Convenience: Avoid California, NJ and Florida.

California and Florida are major vacation states where docs like to live several weeks out of the year. As a result, several doctors want to get licensed in these states so they can do some side work while in the state. It creates a problem for the state because it's hard for them to keep a real track of just how many doctors they truly have if a bunch of them are only in it a few weeks a year.

So, those states make it very difficult to get a license.

As for N.J., everything in N.J. is worse in terms of state bureacracy. No, it's not a vacation state, the gov there is just plain bad and full of corruption and attitude.

(I can say that because I'm from NJ and lived there most of my life).

How is it inconvenient? Well if you get a NJ license, be prepared to wait from over 6 months to over 1 year to get your license after you put in your application. Prepare to be put on hold for 3-4 hrs before anyone picks up the phone when you give a call to check on the progress of your application. Be prepared to have a absent-minded state-employee who knows nothing pick up the phone and tell you to call again later only to suffer the same.

And the fees? Over $1000!

All the while, the residents in my program, some of them got a PA license. Took just a few weeks to get it, was less than $100, and everytime they called the state to check on their progress, they got someone who could actually give them an answer.

Yeah, California is a ~6 month wait and $1000+. Maybe I should get a PA license just for the hell of it.