State mandates Marijuana Dispensaries Must have Pharmacist.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They will just make us do a bunch of CEs, and put Marijuana behind the counter.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd love to work at a dispensary, but not here in New York. The New York medical marijuana program is absurd and an example of overregulation. The facilities are overly secured and feel more like a prison than a dispensary. They only allow sales of liquids for vaporization and oral capsules. Edibles like gummy bears, brownies are not allowed and sale of the actual bud for smoking is not allowed. ****ing *****s. It's New York, we're supposed to be the 2nd most liberal state in the country after California.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd love to work at a dispensary, but not here in New York. The New York medical marijuana program is absurd and an example of overregulation. The facilities are overly secured and feel more like a prison than a dispensary. They only allow sales of liquids for vaporization and oral capsules. Edibles like gummy bears, brownies are not allowed and sale of the actual bud for smoking is not allowed. ****ing *****s. It's New York, we're supposed to be the 2nd most liberal state in the country after California.

Albany is a far cry from NYC. Keep in mind where your laws are made.

Heck yes I'd do this

It's New York, dude.

Corruption/bureaucracy is guaranteed

This is a real opportunity for pharmacists that will generate income, unlike MTM/Pharmaceutical Care/Medical Home/Pie in the Sky Utopia ever will.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't get your hopes up people, Amazon will just jump into this field and destroy all independent stores.

Don't get your hopes up people, Amazon will just jump into this field and destroy all independent stores.

I doubt that greatly. I don't know of any big corporations that have openly supported cannabis sales. Maybe in the future. I have to wonder what the role of a pharmacy manager would be except to make sure the regs are fully enforced.

I doubt that greatly. I don't know of any big corporations that have openly supported cannabis sales. Maybe in the future. I have to wonder what the role of a pharmacy manager would be except to make sure the regs are fully enforced.

I don't know about that. Seems to me Bezos wants in on anything that simply involves shipping.

I am not allowed to post a link but type "Acreage Holdings" (a company that is in 11 states' marijuana industries) in a search engine and you'll see that John Boehner (who was a vocal critic of legalization) is now on their advisory board. Corporations and big money are definitely taking a hard look at cannabis.

I am not allowed to post a link but type "Acreage Holdings" (a company that is in 11 states' marijuana industries) in a search engine and you'll see that John Boehner (who was a vocal critic of legalization) is now on their advisory board. Corporations and big money are definitely taking a hard look at cannabis.

Why can't you post this?

Home (not sure why it says home but this is the website)

Is it because it's against your religion?

The same thing is happening in Pennsylvania. We need to lobby HARD for this to happen in every state that offers medical MJ.

The same thing is happening in Pennsylvania. We need to lobby HARD for this to happen in every state that offers medical MJ.
Why? I didn’t take any courses on cannabis in pharmacy school.

If it's going to be considered a drug for medical use then a pharmacist should absolutely be necessary. Fyi I was also educated on medical cannabis use in pharmacy school

Reactions: 3 users

There have been entire new drug classes FDA approved since I graduated pharmacy school, because I learned the basics as a pharmacist, I'm entirely capable of learning about new drug classes as they are approved. Marijuana/Cannabis is no different.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes, it's an opportunity that looks like a nice escape from retail hell. Unfortunately my board of pharmacy takes the position that, since marijuana is schedule I, we should have absolutely nothing to do with it.

I think SDN doesn’t let someone post links until they have met some minimum post number. Keeps a spammer from signing up and posting dozens of spam links immediately.

Exactly this. I'd be damned if I let my religion keep me from posting links on message boards (among other things).

Look up Acreage Holdings and Boehner's name for some news articles related to what I was talking about. I like the idea of legalization, but a little concerned about how the profits will be distributed (will the money earned be used to actually improve the communities offering these services, or will they be used to further line the pockets of the corporate/political elite who has done everything in their power to criminalize marijuana use not tied directly to an FDA-approved prescription drug?).

Exactly this. I'd be damned if I let my religion keep me from posting links on message boards (among other things).

Look up Acreage Holdings and Boehner's name for some news articles related to what I was talking about. I like the idea of legalization, but a little concerned about how the profits will be distributed (will the money earned be used to actually improve the communities offering these services, or will they be used to further line the pockets of the corporate/political elite who has done everything in their power to criminalize marijuana use not tied directly to an FDA-approved prescription drug?).

In case it didn't make sense, the religion part was due to your account name.

I made myself chuckle at least.

Reactions: 1 user
The only concern I have is that in mature recreational markets such as Colorado the medical sales are declining as patients switch to rec. I'm certain that a portion of the population will continue to pay the extra costs to join the medical program and need extra counseling but how many. In any new state with a medical program it would be wise for the Pharmacist/Clinical Director to make themselves proficient in other areas of the operation also. You will still be required by law to be there but as Clinical Director becomes a more attractive career option and the supply of pharmacists increases they could simply replace you or reduce your pay.