State School or Private School?

x1240tony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello SDN. I come to your aid once again.

I am trying to decide upon a undergraduate program. I have narrowed my choices down to two schools, SUNY at Buffalo or Canisius

My guidance counselor recommends Canisius. He stated that Canisius is a smaller school(~ 5000. Compared to ~30,000 at UB) and that private schools tend to inflate GPAs more than SUNY buffalo. He also told horror stories of terrible professors, professors who don't speak english etc.

I like UB because I will graduate basically without debt, my EFC is zero. Canisius will set me back ~ 20,000 for four years. I am worried that I will fail out of SUNY buffalo, which is a state school.

I am really worried. Any graduates of SUNY buffalo or Canisius?

Pretty sure publics in general are easier than private colleges.

1. Go where you feel comfortable
2. Go where you feel you'll succeed
3. Go where you will go with the least debt

I would choose SUNY Buffalo.

Pretty sure publics in general are easier than private colleges.

1. Go where you feel comfortable
2. Go where you feel you'll succeed
3. Go where you will go with the least debt

I would choose SUNY Buffalo.

I leaning toward SUNY Buffalo. The website for Canisius says "9/10 are accepted to Medical School." But like Mark Twain once wrote "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

Members don't see this ad :)
Whichever is cheaper...

I leaning toward SUNY Buffalo. The website for Canisius says "9/10 are accepted to Medical School." But like Mark Twain once wrote "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

My state school boasts a 95% acceptance rate... Because only the people that stick around will apply and those tend to be the well qualified people. Plus, that includes getting into any medical school. Don't listen to those "facts."

My state school boasts a 95% acceptance rate... Because only the people that stick around will apply and those tend to be the well qualified people. Plus, that includes getting into any medical school. Don't listen to those "facts."

Ya, my one buddy told me they pressure you into doing gap years / Caribbean schools. Also, letters of rec. / committee letters are not sent out to anyone that isn't guaranteed at least one acceptance.

I would totally choose UB. I'm the type of person who likes huge football and party schools. My state school is Penn State, and I chose to apply to only Big 10/SEC/Pac-12 schools (with the exception of University of Maryland). Plus, medical schools don't care if your school is public or private (at least that's what I've heard).

I would totally choose UB. I'm the type of person who likes huge football and party schools. My state school is Penn State, and I chose to apply to only Big 10/SEC/Pac-12 schools (with the exception of University of Maryland). Plus, medical schools don't care if your school is public or private (at least that's what I've heard).

Are you going to Penn State? I'm going there :thumbup:

Hello SDN. I come to your aid once again.

I am trying to decide upon a undergraduate program. I have narrowed my choices down to two schools, SUNY at Buffalo or Canisius

My guidance counselor recommends Canisius. He stated that Canisius is a smaller school(~ 5000. Compared to ~30,000 at UB) and that private schools tend to inflate GPAs more than SUNY buffalo. He also told horror stories of terrible professors, professors who don't speak english etc.

I like UB because I will graduate basically without debt, my EFC is zero. Canisius will set me back ~ 20,000 for four years. I am worried that I will fail out of SUNY buffalo, which is a state school.

I am really worried. Any graduates of SUNY buffalo or Canisius?

SUNY Buffalo hands down.

Just forgetting the tuition stuff i would still choose SUNY Buffalo. I have never heard of Canisius.

You definitely want to go to SUNY Buffalo. Its bigger, might have research you can participate in. I would only choose a private small liberal arts college if it was well known: like Williams, Swarthmore, Amherst etc etc.

This is true. GPA is a lot more important than what school you go to. Basically go wherever it is cheap and there are good opportunities. As long as it's not a community college.

SUNY Buffalo hands down.

Just forgetting the tuition stuff i would still choose SUNY Buffalo. I have never heard of Canisius.

You definitely want to go to SUNY Buffalo. Its bigger, might have research you can participate in. I would only choose a private small liberal arts college if it was well known: like Williams, Swarthmore, Amherst etc etc.

Agreed. Some liberal arts colleges like Bates or Swarthmore would be good. Basically if it's not something many people know about, don't go there. State schools are actually really good because there is a lot of research coming out of them. Plus there are often more extracurriculars and such.