State School Undergrad

Not a Wrench

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, first time poster here. I just had a question about medical school admissions. So...

I will be attending Indiana University - Bloomington this coming fall and I was wondering how much this will affect my chances at top tier universities. My top choices are Feinberg, Pritzker, and UMich. Will these school look unfavorably upon me because of my undergrad school? I'm a Neuroscience major, if that matters.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, first time poster here. I just had a question about medical school admissions. So...

I will be attending Indiana University - Bloomington this coming fall and I was wondering how much this will affect my chances at top tier universities. My top choices are Feinberg, Pritzker, and UMich. Will these school look unfavorably upon me because of my undergrad school? I'm a Neuroscience major, if that matters.

It will not be a strength of your application, but it can be overcome by good grades and, particularly, an excellent mcat. I went to a school that is similar to yours (probably smaller) and wound up at a top tier school.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will not be a strength of your application, but it can be overcome by good grades and, particularly, an excellent mcat. I went to a school that is similar to yours (probably smaller) and wound up at a top tier school.
I was hoping of getting the average GPA and MCAT of what the applicants of those schools I listed get and distinguish myself through my ECs. Do you thing this would be enough, or should I try to ace the GPA and try to exceed average MCAT for the schools?

I was hoping of getting the average GPA and MCAT of what the applicants of those schools I listed get and distinguish myself through my ECs. Do you thing this would be enough, or should I try to ace the GPA and try to exceed average MCAT for the schools?

You should try to do the best you possibly can.

Reactions: 1 user
What Wedgedawg said. The averages for those schools are excellent, so that will take care of that. But you should definitely do all that you can, but you have a long time to decide if medicine is for you, to see how you adjust to college, and if so what schools you will be competitive for.