Statement of Need Canada .. for IM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roar318

Reaction score
Hi everyone, It's my first time posting , need help

I matched into internal medicine in the US this year, I have a Canadian PR card but I have another nationality. I am studying my options whether to get the statement of need from Canada or Original country.

ECFMG told me I can get either if I can provide a letter on why I want to get from my country of nationality and not canada which is my last legal residence.

My question; is there any downsides to getting the statement of need from Canada, like if you have the option would you not get it from Canada??
Like i want to plan for the future;
1- does the statement of need have an expiry date ?
2- is it easy to renew it ?
3- is it easy to get one for fellowship?
4- how does that affect if you want to get a waiver job in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Canada has a streamlined process which is probably faster than the other country, you don't need to renew it during residency, and it's easy to get one for fellowship (for now anyway, they recently changed it a couple years ago and now they support any fellowship). Not sure about last one

Members don't see this ad :)
1. No. The statement of need is valid for the entirety of the training selected. E.g. internal medicine for 3 years

2. There is no renewal. To renew your visa status, you simply pay the ECFMG around $350 USD a year to process a new DS-2019 to maintain your status.

3. Canada currently has no limits on fellowships or residencies, so it should be easy enough.

4. If you do not get a waiver job. Then you have to return to your home country to work for at least 2 years.

(WARNING: your home country is based on where you got your statement of need. So if you get it from country X, you MUST live in country X for 2 years not Canada, before returning to USA)

Returning to Canada would be a lot better than returning to any other country as work experience would look favorably if applying to jobs in the US later and obviously pay is better.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for the amazing answers. I really appreciate it. I hope someone will benefit from this thread one day too.

1. No. The statement of need is valid for the entirety of the training selected. E.g. internal medicine for 3 years

2. There is no renewal. To renew your visa status, you simply pay the ECFMG around $350 USD a year to process a new DS-2019 to maintain your status.

3. Canada currently has no limits on fellowships or residencies, so it should be easy enough.

4. If you do not get a waiver job. Then you have to return to your home country to work for at least 2 years.

(WARNING: your home country is based on where you got your statement of need. So if you get it from country X, you MUST live in country X for 2 years not Canada, before returning to USA)

Returning to Canada would be a lot better than returning to any other country as work experience would look favorably if applying to jobs in the US later and obviously pay is better.

This. The country you get your SON from is the country you need to return to and live in for 2 years if you do not get a waiver job and want to return to the US later. Clearly they can't enforce where you live for 2 years, but they can deny granting you future visas.

Does Canada give statement of need for neurosurgery? Is it hard to get SoN?

Yes.

But your chance of matching into neurosurgery are slim to none if you graduated at a non-US MD school as a Canadian.

For a Canadian at a US MD school, its definitely possible to match neurosurgery on a J1 but many times a H1b is an option instead after doing an OPT visa for the first year, so I'd do that instead.

Hi everyone, It's my first time posting , need help

I matched into internal medicine in the US this year, I have a Canadian PR card but I have another nationality. I am studying my options whether to get the statement of need from Canada or Original country.

ECFMG told me I can get either if I can provide a letter on why I want to get from my country of nationality and not canada which is my last legal residence.

My question; is there any downsides to getting the statement of need from Canada, like if you have the option would you not get it from Canada??
Like i want to plan for the future;
1- does the statement of need have an expiry date ?
2- is it easy to renew it ?
3- is it easy to get one for fellowship?
4- how does that affect if you want to get a waiver job in the future?
Hi, I am in the same situation. Can you tell me if you ended up getting it from Canada? If so, how long did it take?