Statement of Purpose!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych for path

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's hard to say, because it varies from one program to the next.

But here are some general tips off the top of my head:

1. Avoid the 'my life story/mental health' trap. Most applicants have been effected by mental illness either in their lives or someone close to them. You can mention it, but do not make this the main focus of your paper!

2. Be creative! The people who have to sift through hundreds of applications get bored pretty easy reading the same stories (cause many of them do look the same) over and over again, so think of ways to develop a creative writing style! For example, an old prof of mine once told me that his wife put this as the opening line on her graduate statement: "Maybe it was the sound of the broken glass outside my front door, but the sinking feeling in my stomach told me that after this night my life would never be the same". Now doesn't that provoke some interest and anticipation?

More later...

I am hoping to write winning personal statements as well - I have to write THREE for my program - and each is supposed to be a minimum of three pages. Sheesh!! Hard to stay creative. =)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am hoping to write winning personal statements as well - I have to write THREE for my program - and each is supposed to be a minimum of three pages. Sheesh!! Hard to stay creative. =)

3X3--what a pain! Sorry to hear it. That's ridiculous. I'd be amazed if the admissions committee does more than skim.

I think one way folks can distinguish themselves is by simply writing well (as momto4girls does). Many people don't or can't. Get someone with a real flair for language to edit the thing.

3X3--what a pain! Sorry to hear it. That's ridiculous. I'd be amazed if the admissions committee does more than skim.

I think one way folks can distinguish themselves is by simply writing well (as momto4girls does). Many people don't or can't. Get someone with a real flair for language to edit the thing.

Aw, thanks!

I had the same thought ... "These will only be skimmed, so don't stress!" My friend is applying to a school in CA and only has to provide one, one-page personal statement. Sigh. Of course, that will probably be gone over with a fine-tooth comb.

Aw, thanks!

I had the same thought ... "These will only be skimmed, so don't stress!" My friend is applying to a school in CA and only has to provide one, one-page personal statement. Sigh. Of course, that will probably be gone over with a fine-tooth comb.

Momto4girls, I hope you don't stress too much. You are a definite admit. You have a good head on your shoulders, great pedigree, write as well as the best writers on the doc forum. Your future program will be lucky to have you. :)

Momto4girls, I hope you don't stress too much. You are a definite admit. You have a good head on your shoulders, great pedigree, write as well as the best writers on the doc forum. Your future program will be lucky to have you. :)

Wow, thank you! :oops: I hope you are right!

Hello,

I could really use some help with understanding this personal statement essay prompt. The question reads:

Choose a social problem in which you are vitally interested. Identify the factors that must be considered in order to develop a policy or program that addresses this problem. Discuss the social work practice issues inherent in your discussion.

I don't understand what this means by "social work practice issues"? Lets say I want to write about homelessness. What would be an example of a social work practice issue? My B.A. was not in social work so I'm a bit perplexed. Thanks in advance!

I was recently accepted into a reasonably rigorous MSW program. One of the things I mentioned in my Statement was how I felt I could be of service as a social worker, utilizing own personal set of skills/talents/background/philosophy - may sound obvious, but I think it's important.

bfo

Hello,

I could really use some help with understanding this personal statement essay prompt. The question reads:

I don't understand what this means by "social work practice issues"? Lets say I want to write about homelessness. What would be an example of a social work practice issue? My B.A. was not in social work so I'm a bit perplexed. Thanks in advance!

Have you tried the NASW site?

My (successful) SOP for Hunter's accelerated MSW program began with a summary of the circumstances that led to my choice to pursue social work, without getting overly TMI or graphic. I also took the opportunity to explain a few problems with my record (bad frosh year, unprepared by homeschooling) and the later success/honors that showed academic growth. This is probably a good idea if you have something academic or disciplinary to explain -- it turns a scattered set of numbers and facts into a narrative.

After this, I moved on to what I had done in college that related to social work, what I did now, what it meant to me, and what I hoped to do in the future. The chronological format worked for me, but I imagine that any well-organized piece of writing will be fine. I agree with Barefootone that you should be specific about your personal skill set and experiences.

Good luck on Hunter! I'm starting in January and can't wait.

Last edited:
I am wondering if any others are coming from a mainly research oriented background and applying to MS in Clinical Psych programs? I have spent the past 4 years working in a research lab, post undergrad, preparing for PhD applications. I am applying to PhDs this year but also want to apply to a MS Clinical Psych program. Yes, this is my backup plan, but obviously I don't want to sound like that in my personal statement. And I do think I would be happy and successful with a masters level career, and I really like assessments.
So I guess my main question is what do I talk about in my personal statement? Should I talk about research at all, or should I only highlight the clinical apsects of my research position? I also have some volunteer experience working with foster kids during undergrad, TAd for a psych course, and did a couple other less significant volunteer things. Is any of this going to look good for MS programs? I am really having a hard time trying to switch gears from Clinical PhD apps which are basically just research focused.
Any help would be great, thank you :)

I actually have a related question I was wondering if someone could help me with. One of the schools that I applied to has two separate applications. There is the graduate school application to the university and the application to the social work program. The university application has a "personal and academic statement" required and the social work application has four writing prompts I'll respond to. I haven't seen the questions yet for the social work application (I won't be able to view them until after I submit the university application), but I know that the personal statement basically has no prompt. I found this surprising since other schools were very specific in what they want you to cover. What information do you think would be relevant for me to discuss in this part? I'm not sure how to approach this because I will have four other prompts for the social work application and I don't want to be too repetitive. Any advice? In terms of length I think this personal statement is probably no more than 1-2 pages (again, they gave next to no guidelines). Thanks!