States "Physician Home Loans" are available in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDOWife

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the thread about home mortgages, I mentioned we are going to be getting a Physician's Home Loan and that it is only available in a limited number of states. I have had several emails requesting to know which states support this loan. I spoke with my mortgage person today and she told me the list of states:

Arkansas, Arizona, California, Dist. of Col., Flordia, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Il., KS, Maryland, Missouri, North Caroilna, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, VA, and Washington

The benefits of the physician loan, as I understand them, is there is no mortgage insurance- your rate is a little higher b/c of this but only 1/8 to 1/4%, there are no origination fees, and you can also be preapproved for a loan BEFORE graduating!!! This made me happy because we will have a home to move directly into instead of having to rent, first.

I also asked my mortgage person if I can put her name/number on here in case you guys have any additional questions and she said I could so if you need to know more, you can call

Bank of America
Bridget Oelklaus Giltner
(816) 979-4280 (Kansas City, MO)

I hope some of you find this information helpful!

Amy

Members don't see this ad.

Hi FutureDOwife- Thanks for posting this. Do you have any more details on this loan? What kind of ratios (debt to income) are they looking for? Would they do a >40% ratio? Are closing costs rolled into the principal? Thanks, Crypt

as I said in the post, if you have any additional questions, call my loan person and she will be happy to help you. Good luck!

In Maryland at least, not only is there no mortgage insurance, they don't require a down payment!

Of course that means the total of your loan will be bigger, but coming up with a down payment would have prohibited my buying a house.

The banks in Maryland that offer this awesome deal are Bank of America and Sun Trust. There are some restrictions- you have to borrow a certain amount- $250k, but it's flexible. They managed to give us the loan for $214k.

Originally posted by Linie
In Maryland at least, not only is there no mortgage insurance, they don't require a down payment!

Of course that means the total of your loan will be bigger, but coming up with a down payment would have prohibited my buying a house.

The banks in Maryland that offer this awesome deal are Bank of America and Sun Trust. There are some restrictions- you have to borrow a certain amount- $250k, but it's flexible. They managed to give us the loan for $214k.

I assume that the $214k was approved on two incomes (not just a resident's salary)?!?

Thanks for the info.

Yes- two resident's salaries.

Apply for an interest only loan using your credit score only. It is called no income/no asset or something like that. You can get approved up to 250k on only one residents salary. With interest only, you can afford it.