STATES WHICH WILL NOT GRANT LICENSURE TO MDs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovebug

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the info I know about states that will not license graduating residents in US if their MD has any or some online/distance education.

List of States that will REJECT if your MD has ANY online/distance education:

CA, IN, TX, OR, GA, MA, MI, NJ, NY, NV, NM, CO, WA, PA, MO, IL, VA, VT, CT, AZ, NC, SC, ND, SD, WI, NE, IW, OH, MN, MAINE, NH, FL, DE,

States that MAY grant license:

UT, WY, MONTANA, ID, HAWAII, PR, US VIRGIN ISLANDS

Please add to the lists if you have any more information. All people who are thinking of attending any such school should be VERY careful unless you dont mind trying to get a license in one of the maybe states!

Members don't see this ad.

What does this have to do with Caribbean medical schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Who does online medical degrees????

Well, I heard that International University of Health Sciences in St. Kitts is basically an internet medical school, so they're probably targeting graduates from those kinds of schools.

This is the info I know about states that will not license graduating residents in US if their MD has any or some online/distance education.

List of States that will REJECT if your MD has ANY online/distance education:

CA, IN, TX, OR, GA, MA, MI, NJ, NY, NV, NM, CO, WA, PA, MO, IL, VA, VT, CT, AZ, NC, SC, ND, SD, WI, NE, IW, OH, MN, MAINE, NH, FL, DE,

States that MAY grant license:

UT, WY, MONTANA, ID, HAWAII, PR, US VIRGIN ISLANDS

Please add to the lists if you have any more information. All people who are thinking of attending any such school should be VERY careful unless you dont mind trying to get a license in one of the maybe states!

So 33 states :eek: and this is a good thing? Even a St. Chris grad is only kept from about 10 states, seems they have something to feel better about eh?:scared::scared:

This tells you Do not go to any distance known school.! Unless you just like the paper.

Yes, IUHS st. kitts is distance learning and they are on the CA disapproved list....hard to understand why Americans still go there??!! Either people who go there havent done the research or dont care! Man imagine spending all that money and time, and hard work for nothing!!:eek:

I heard there is another new one in carib but they require student to be on campus each month for couple of days!! Wonder if that will work when it comes to licensure!

There is another one in Samoa but from what I have heard it is light years ahead of IUHS. That school's graduates are also approved by Australian and New Zealand medical councils to take the licensing exams. This gives them some legitimacy because Australian medical council does not recognise any carib school!! Not even SGU, Ross!!

Yes, IUHS st. kitts is distance learning and they are on the CA disapproved list....hard to understand why Americans still go there??!! Either people who go there havent done the research or dont care! Man imagine spending all that money and time, and hard work for nothing!!:eek:

I heard there is another new one in carib but they require student to be on campus each month for couple of days!! Wonder if that will work when it comes to licensure!
Will not work since the passport records can be requested.

Australian medical council does not recognise any carib school!! Not even SGU, Ross!!

Well where is this info? I just read the http://www.amc.org.au/home.asp

No where on the site is this posted? Only what steps a IMG can take to get Licensed

Also the http://www.medicalboardsa.asn.au/page2.php?parentid=38&pageid=44

and the
http://www.medicalboard.com.au/

No where on these sites does it say the Caribbean grads cannot get Licensed
Only that it is case by case.

If there is such information please post it for us.

As far As I can see you are a IMG/FMG to them since these schools are WHO schools chartered in a Country just like any other country.

oldpro, things might have changed now but couple of years ago I contacted AMC directly and they said no Carib med schools are recognised by AMC and will not be able to take their licensing exams.

Am not sure if things have changed now? Maybe Aussies in this forum can post some updated info....as far as I know, they were pretty adamant that they will not recognise any carib schools....this may also be due to the claims IUHS was making that they were colloborating with Uni of Sydney, which is one of the top uni's in Australia. Might have really made them angry, who knows!??