Statewide controlled drug directory = fun

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else's state has implemented it yet, but as of a week ago in WV we can instantly type in a person's info into the state board's website and get a real time list of every CII-IV they've ever gotten since, like, 2003. The druggies think you are frickin' magical or something. It's bloody hilarious. This one guy came to me with a Norco 10/325 (The Cadillac of hydrocodone!) script, limping and carrying on about how much in pain he was. I looked him up and, sure enough, he got another 30 day supply of the same thing filled down the street last week. I was so fast that I told him I knew about his actions 15 seconds after he handed me the script, sp the effect was pretty good. He stood there like a deer in headlights for about 7 solid seconds then all of a sudden BOLTED out of the pharmacy and disappeared.

Thank you WV State Board of Pharmacy. 95% of the time you are a bunch of dinguses, but in this instance, you're good as gold.

Members don't see this ad.

WVUPharm2007 said:
I don't know if anyone else's state has implemented it yet, but as of a week ago in WV we can instantly type in a person's info into the state board's website and get a real time list of every CII-IV they've ever gotten since, like, 2003. The druggies think you are frickin' magical or something. It's bloody hilarious. This one guy came to me with a Norco 10/325 (The Cadillac of hydrocodone!) script, limping and carrying on about how much in pain he was. I looked him up and, sure enough, he got another 30 day supply of the same thing filled down the street last week. I was so fast that I told him I knew about his actions 15 seconds after he handed me the script, sp the effect was pretty good. He stood there like a deer in headlights for about 7 solid seconds then all of a sudden BOLTED out of the pharmacy and disappeared.

Thank you WV State Board of Pharmacy. 95% of the time you are a bunch of dinguses, but in this instance, you're good as gold.

I really like that. I wonder if NY will do something similiar. Hehe, i can just imagine the look on his face. Its amazing what stories ppl tell for drugs. At my pharmacy we sell needles and i find it amusing when they say i need 2 1CC 29G needles, they are for my grandma, it seems grandmas in my town always run out of needles and only need 1 or 2 more. Its good to use a clean needle, but i dont really need a fake story about it, just ask for them.

WVUPharm2007 said:

Addiction is a disease. I think a pharmacist should be compassionate toward his patients rather than gloat about frightening them.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not always about addiction. There are lots of dealers out there, too.
We can be sympathetic toward people being addicted, but I believe we SHOULD be gloating because systems like these keep us from feeding people's addictions.

OSURxgirl said:
It's not always about addiction. There are lots of dealers out there, too.
We can be sympathetic toward people being addicted, but I believe we SHOULD be gloating because systems like these keep us from feeding people's addictions.

You make a good point about dealers. I just don't like the disparaging attitude many healthcare professionals seem to have towards drug addicts. In any case, opiate addicts don't typically give up when they can't obtain drugs from a particular source, and I'd rather an addict abuse Norcos than street heroin. In fact, experimental programs of opiate prescription to addicts in Switzerland and the UK have helped to reduce health problems and acquisitive crime in addicts, while undercutting the illicit drug market and its attendant problems, and ultimately helping addicts to reduce or quit their usage.

So I don't think "feeding people's addictions" is necessarily a bad thing. Of course, it might not be practical to do this effectively within our current legal framework, but perhaps this framework needs to change, and systems like the original poster describes are in fact a step in the wrong direction.

There are also people out there with mismanaged pain who can benefit from intervention. Overuse is typically either an issue of mismanaged pain, or profiteering. Alot of profiteers are also users. There are fewer straight-up addicts out there than people think, because we are so quick to judge people based on frequent narcotic use.

I agree that it's a useful system.

Being from an area where many patients take Hydro like candy, I look at this as a novel idea. Good for WV!

I should add that this guy has been in jail for dealing, so it's not like I profile everyone, I just look up the people I know are problems.