Statistics Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cameljocke

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For UCI, UCLA, apparently you need statistics. I was an engineering major...

A) has anyone been successful in allowing these schools to forgive this requirement due to completing a lot of other math classes? Is this common at other schools w/ other classes - they just let you slide without completing a single class (this is all assuming you are accepted and are planning on going)?

B) has anyone taken this class online? Any suggestions on where to take it? I work full time and it would blow to have to go to class on top of that...but for either of these schools I'd do it.

Members don't see this ad.

A) has anyone been successful in allowing these schools to forgive this requirement due to completing a lot of other math classes? Is this common at other schools w/ other classes - they just let you slide without completing a single class (this is all assuming you are accepted and are planning on going)?

B) has anyone taken this class online? Any suggestions on where to take it? I work full time and it would blow to have to go to class on top of that...but for either of these schools I'd do it.
Very easy class, you could probably do it at a CC over the summer.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the statistics "requirement" with the year of math is just "suggested". Since it's required you take a semester of calculus (at least), taking stats will be a nice break (easy!).

Members don't see this ad :)

Take it at one of the community colleges that's on the semester system (a quarter won't be enough to fulfill the requirement at some schools). They usually have night, weekend, and online options (although I wouldn't recommend taking it online).

There is a online statistics course in a cc my brother is going to. It is 4 weeks long.

College of Marin (Calif.) has an online stats course...

From what I understand, the UC's which require it, actually DO consider it to be a requirement. People with otherwise stellar applications have posted that their applications were rejected from there for lack taking statistics.

You could call the schools in question to ask them directly.

I have a UCLA secondary. Perhaps I should send an email to ask them whether I could take stats the summer before.

When I interviewed they made us fill out a form listing the classes which satisfy each of the requirements. Two of us had not taken statistics, but they said it was fine as long as we took it prior to matriculation (i.e. second semester this year or over the summer).
Hope that helps.