Stats are good, but not enough clinical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sinusites

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm very happy with my stats (3.73 BCPM, 3.80 cumulative, 38Q) but was not even going to apply this year because I don't know if I have "good enough" clinical/research for the schools I want. Please look at my MDApps list and tell me what you think. Should I add more safeties? Any suggestions?

Thank you guys!! Good luck with your own apps...

Members don't see this ad.

Your clinical experience is fine. I'd add a few schools that are friendly to OOS applicants like Tulane, SLU, UVA, VCU, and Creighton. You're going to be competitive anywhere you apply, so just choose a few schools you'd like to with MCAT averages in the low 30's

hey, same boat as you! but my gpa pales in comparison to yours. i'd say apply, you have more than enough. i think 'hours' become more of an issue if you're numbers aren't as high as yours. you'll be fine, actually more than fine! goodluck!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm very happy with my stats (3.73 BCPM, 3.80 cumulative, 38Q) but was not even going to apply this year because I don't know if I have "good enough" clinical/research for the schools I want. Please look at my MDApps list and tell me what you think. Should I add more safeties? Any suggestions?

Do yourself a favor, apply and diversify

You really do have a good shot! good luck

How is 400 hours of clinical experience not enough? I have a 100 but I could go on and on about my experiences. Quality counts... but if you've gotten 400, I'm sure you've got lots of quality clinical experience

I bet you'll get an auto-invite from UMich without even having to submit the secondary.

I'm very happy with my stats (3.73 BCPM, 3.80 cumulative, 38Q) but was not even going to apply this year because I don't know if I have "good enough" clinical/research for the schools I want. Please look at my MDApps list and tell me what you think.

I think that you are either 1) painfully out-of-touch, or 2) just fishing for compliments. You obviously know by now that two years of research and 400+ hours of "clinical experience" are adequate for just about any school, given your stats. I guess some kids just need attention and/or get off on flexing their MDapps muscle.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Yes LadyWolverine, I'm fishing for compliments...you called it. Congratulations! Actually I started looking at StudentDoctor.net a few weeks ago per someone's suggestion and became really really paranoid. I swear I wasn't this bad before...and hopefully because of (mostly) everyone's feedback this won't be plaguing me anymore.

Also, my research experience isn't really what it looks like. The 06-07 (first 6 mo.'s) were spent washing dishes and moving boxes around a laboratory while the researchers found the most awful tasks they could for me. Only this second lab has actually been beneficial, and this is only my first month at it.

So excuse me if I got a little intimidated by the people with 4.0's, 40 MCAT's and 20 publications that say they didn't get accepted to a single med school. It's scary. On that note, have a good night everyone :rolleyes:

I only wish I had 400 hours clinical...you are fine...your list is fine, too...

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Yes LadyWolverine, I'm fishing for compliments...you called it. Congratulations! Actually I started looking at StudentDoctor.net a few weeks ago per someone's suggestion and became really really paranoid. I swear I wasn't this bad before...and hopefully because of (mostly) everyone's feedback this won't be plaguing me anymore.

Also, my research experience isn't really what it looks like. The 06-07 (first 6 mo.'s) were spent washing dishes and moving boxes around a laboratory while the researchers found the most awful tasks they could for me. Only this second lab has actually been beneficial, and this is only my first month at it.

So excuse me if I got a little intimidated by the people with 4.0's, 40 MCAT's and 20 publications that say they didn't get accepted to a single med school. It's scary. On that note, have a good night everyone :rolleyes:

Some of those people are probably trolls. But its also possible that they have absolutely no personal skills. Stats do not an acceptance make. The interview is so important. If someone has a 40 MCAT but says he wants to go into medicine for the money, he might get rejected from a few places.

Some of those people are probably trolls. But its also possible that they have absolutely no personal skills. Stats do not an acceptance make. The interview is so important. If someone has a 40 MCAT but says he wants to go into medicine for the money, he might get rejected from a few places.

Not to mention that if someone actually chose medicine for the money these days, I wouldn't really trust their intelligence. Thank you medicare :rolleyes:

From MDAPPS, I've noticed that a big reason why people with great MCATs and GPAs are getting rejected left and right is their narrow range of school selection. If you apply to Harv, Yale, Hopkins,Duke, Stanford, U Chicago, Vandy, Northwestern etc, IMO, you are still not covered.

UChicago, Vandy, and Northwestern are not safety schools for anyone, ever, something some 40 MCATers on MDApps do not consider.