Stats on social science MSTPs versus hard science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hereisachurch

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi y'all,

I'm an undergrad who wants to do a public health or epi PhD-MD, hopefully under the financial auspices of MSTP. Am I just fooling myself? All of my research seems to indicate that they go after hard-science types with "oh yeah, we also sponsor social science people too" thrown in as kind of an afterthought. Hopefully I'm wrong - has anyone been able to find stats on what people get their PhD's in after admission, or know from personal experience?

Thanks so much for all your help!
 
I'm not sure what kind of stats you're interested in, but yes, funded MD-PhDs for public health students exist at several (although not most) institutions that have MD-PhD programs. See http://epi-mstp.wikispaces.com/ for some examples.

Hi y'all,

I'm an undergrad who wants to do a public health or epi PhD-MD, hopefully under the financial auspices of MSTP. Am I just fooling myself? All of my research seems to indicate that they go after hard-science types with "oh yeah, we also sponsor social science people too" thrown in as kind of an afterthought. Hopefully I'm wrong - has anyone been able to find stats on what people get their PhD's in after admission, or know from personal experience?

Thanks so much for all your help!
 
Ah, thanks so much! That's helpful.

The stats I was looking for are how many people admitted to MSTP-funded programs pursue what type of PhD. I suppose the MSTP program is not likely to publish aggregate info, but it seems like very few schools even publish it individually for their own admits.