stats prof for science LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woohoo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if it would be possible to ask my stats professor for a LOR and use it as my science LOR. My reasoning is basically that our science gpa includes math, so why wouldn't a math prof. be considered science? Does anyone know for sure? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So no one has used a math class to get a science LOR? I cannot be the only one...

Is stats considered a math class in the science GPA calculations?

Members don't see this ad :)
msummar_smc said:
Is stats considered a math class in the science GPA calculations?

I hope so, I was kind of counting on it. :eek:

I wouldnt recommend getting a LOR from a stats professor.

crazytrain said:
I wouldnt recommend getting a LOR from a stats professor.

I just have to ask: why not?

The best thing you can do is get a LOR from advanced natural science professor. Classes like physiology, microbiology, etc...These are the kinds of classes you will be faced with in dental school, and what better way to show the adcom you can handle the load than by having an undergraduate professor praising your commitment and desire to learn in one of those classes.

crazytrain said:
The best thing you can do is get a LOR from advanced natural science professor. Classes like physiology, microbiology, etc...These are the kinds of classes you will be faced with in dental school, and what better way to show the adcom you can handle the load than by having an undergraduate professor praising your commitment and desire to learn in one of those classes.

I appreciate your comment, but with all the suck up premeds at my particular school it makes it nearly impossible to get to know a science prof. very well. I do plan on getting a LOR from an upper level science class, but with my stats class being so small I think I can get a pretty good lor that way.

woohoo said:
I hope so, I was kind of counting on it. :eek:

Can anyone confirm this? Stats at the college I graduated from is a business class and would I wouldn't consider it as part of the science GPA ... but it would be sweet if it was since I squeezed off 2 A's in my two stats courses.

Anyone know for sure? :confused:

ok, someone recommended a physiology teacher. I got one from an introductory biology teacher already, would it be bad if I got one from my physiology teacher? My physiology class is also in the Bio department. I think I might ask my genetics or dental public health teachers instead. Would that be alright?

mikhiel said:
ok, someone recommended a physiology teacher. I got one from an introductory biology teacher already, would it be bad if I got one from my physiology teacher? My physiology class is also in the Bio department. I think I might ask my genetics or dental public health teachers instead. Would that be alright?

I think a LOR from your physiology prof would work great.