Stay In Ny?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seventiesgal200

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from NY (close to NYC). Do any of you think it is more reasonable to stay in NY and apply to NY based schools or try my luck out of NY, like Harvard or Bryn Mawr for a post bacc program? Is it a waste of time ? I am still not sure what medical school I would be interested in. I welcome your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

seventiesgal200 said:
I'm from NY (close to NYC). Do any of you think it is more reasonable to stay in NY and apply to NY based schools or try my luck out of NY, like Harvard or Bryn Mawr for a post bacc program? Is it a waste of time ? I am still not sure what medical school I would be interested in. I welcome your feedback.

I live in NY and I have checked out Columbia $$$ and Hunter $ post bac's they both look good, Columbia is more organized, Hunter is slighty more do it yourself. BUT - the people who go to hunter like it, those that I have spoken to about columbia seem to think that it is too competative.
I applyed to Bryn Mawr, because I thought why not. I have a 3.8 GPA (no sciences...yet). but I did crappy in high school... I did not get in to Bryn Mawr. There enrollment is full until next fall- really early deadline with rolling admission. and it is $$$
Havard extension is a good school but the classes are HARD so I have heard, or read, that is why it is open enrollment (sp?)- the hard classes weed out those not capable~ yuck that sounds gross

anyway hope that was a little help- The choice is really what is what would fit you best - all things considered.

good luck
p

oh and do you want to be an MD ?

Pony46 said:
I live in NY and I have checked out Columbia $$$ and Hunter $ post bac's they both look good, Columbia is more organized, Hunter is slighty more do it yourself. BUT - the people who go to hunter like it, those that I have spoken to about columbia seem to think that it is too competative.
I applyed to Bryn Mawr, because I thought why not. I have a 3.8 GPA (no sciences...yet). but I did crappy in high school... I did not get in to Bryn Mawr. There enrollment is full until next fall- really early deadline with rolling admission. and it is $$$
Havard extension is a good school but the classes are HARD so I have heard, or read, that is why it is open enrollment (sp?)- the hard classes weed out those not capable~ yuck that sounds gross

anyway hope that was a little help- The choice is really what is what would fit you best - all things considered.

good luck
p

Hey thanx for the reply very thorough -- yea i heard hunter was do it yourself. And I think columbia and nyu are more specialized for that type of program - that's why it's so competitive (is it very hard to get in you think?). In regards to Harvard, I was wondering why it was open enrollment - it didn't seem logical to me. They probably are VERY HARD. Do you think it's worth it though? Instead of lets say nyu columbia or even city college.

Yes, I want to be an MD, but I decided very late in my undergraduate from an accounting major =) crazy lol. Now I am an English major - I am still in my undergraduate (junior) -almost done - and I was going to take the science classes undergrad, but I decided to just do it after and maintain a greater GPA. And I'm fairly new with the post bacc, but I think it's a great thing. I just wasn't sure if it was worth staying in NY or not, like if it was dumb to leave NY for lets say a year or two, but many on the boards are doing it - doesn't seem too unlikely now. Okay, I'm just rambling now. =) Thanks for your input ------ do you want to be an MD???

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't even consider Columbia. Hunter is a much better choice. The fact of the matter is that Medschools really only care about numbers, although most of us premeds tend to forget that. Columbia is hard hard hard and it's not even a very good education, IMHO. The atmosphere is as intense as it comes--people will literally kill you for an A there. It's expensive, it's lousy, stay away. Trust me, I did a year there and then chose to go to my state school and save the 30k. Best decision I've ever made.

Crake said:
Don't even consider Columbia. Hunter is a much better choice. The fact of the matter is that Medschools really only care about numbers, although most of us premeds tend to forget that. Columbia is hard hard hard and it's not even a very good education, IMHO. The atmosphere is as intense as it comes--people will literally kill you for an A there. It's expensive, it's lousy, stay away. Trust me, I did a year there and then chose to go to my state school and save the 30k. Best decision I've ever made.

lol yea I read your Columbia posting on the other thread...it's really that bad, huh? I mean I researched all of this and Columbia does seem like the best choice - it looks professional, it does cost a lot (but I guess for the name, it does seem worth it), and it's COLUMBIA. I see what you mean - it does look like a "Machiavelli" type of setting (that might be too strong a word). I didn't even think about undergraduates (I am an undergraduate) and I can see them looking at post baccs like how you mentioned. I know people who have gone to Columbia and said it was good, but we are looking at a different situation. Do you know if NYU is like that too? You got out of NY right? I think that's the best thing if you want more individual attention instead of the "lecture type" of setting. Thanks again and when applying to post bacc (which will be soon) I'm not going to consider Columbia as I would have. =)

seventiesgal200 said:
Hey thanx for the reply very thorough -- yea i heard hunter was do it yourself. And I think columbia and nyu are more specialized for that type of program - that's why it's so competitive (is it very hard to get in you think?). In regards to Harvard, I was wondering why it was open enrollment - it didn't seem logical to me. They probably are VERY HARD. Do you think it's worth it though? Instead of lets say nyu columbia or even city college.

Yes, I want to be an MD, but I decided very late in my undergraduate from an accounting major =) crazy lol. Now I am an English major - I am still in my undergraduate (junior) -almost done - and I was going to take the science classes undergrad, but I decided to just do it after and maintain a greater GPA. And I'm fairly new with the post bacc, but I think it's a great thing. I just wasn't sure if it was worth staying in NY or not, like if it was dumb to leave NY for lets say a year or two, but many on the boards are doing it - doesn't seem too unlikely now. Okay, I'm just rambling now. =) Thanks for your input ------ do you want to be an MD???

I believe that Havard E is very good, while I have heard poor things from a few, I have also heard fantastic things from more than a few. With Regard to Columbia and the other post, that would make it three people that I have heard the description of people who will kill for an A. ANd not one who has sadi that it is a good program.
I don't think Columbia is as particular about who gets in as some other schools but it is not open enrollment.
Oh and I have heard NOTHING about NYU except that it has a program that is...
P

Pony46 said:
I believe that Havard E is very good, while I have heard poor things from a few, I have also heard fantastic things from more than a few. With Regard to Columbia and the other post, that would make it three people that I have heard the description of people who will kill for an A. ANd not one who has sadi that it is a good program.
I don't think Columbia is as particular about who gets in as some other schools but it is not open enrollment.
Oh and I have heard NOTHING about NYU except that it has a program that is...
P

I would love to go to Harvard and I might be gearing more towards it, but it still bothers me that it is open enrollment. People who take this program, are they at a bigger advantage then say at NYU? Do medical schools mind that Harvard is open enrollment and that anyone could get in so you're not really separated from the rest? I am not too familiar with this if anyone can help. Thanx.

Pony46 said:

good luck
p

Bryn Mawr's application process opened oct 1 and rolls til the spring....they told you they're done already?! I applied and havent heard yet

I'm at HES now and the classes are fantastic. They are tough, yes. However the classes are not based on a curve and therefore there is not that cutthroat competition you see in the college. Wherever you go you want to make sure that if you move out of state that you will not lose NY residency status. Every state is different, but just keep that in mind when you decide.

Med schools don't care how you got into a program, they care about how well you do in the program once you get in, and if it is of an acceptable rigor.

I don't think HES is at any advantage or disadvantage over any other good postbacc.

If open-enrollment bothers you that much, then don't go. Wouldn't you think that more schools should be open-enrollment, not less, because it means that much more $$ for the school? OTOH, it leads to somewhat larger classes, so that's a factor when deciding in a program as well.

Oh, if you're gonna consider Harvard, you might as well consider Penn. Their program has a little more structure, isn't open-enrollment, and is closer to NYC.

sidewalkman said:
Med schools don't care how you got into a program, they care about how well you do in the program once you get in, and if it is of an acceptable rigor.

I don't think HES is at any advantage or disadvantage over any other good postbacc.

If open-enrollment bothers you that much, then don't go. Wouldn't you think that more schools should be open-enrollment, not less, because it means that much more $$ for the school? OTOH, it leads to somewhat larger classes, so that's a factor when deciding in a program as well.

Oh, if you're gonna consider Harvard, you might as well consider Penn. Their program has a little more structure, isn't open-enrollment, and is closer to NYC.

hey sidewalkman, how is Penn compared to HES? I was considering penn but from what I looked up, its more expensive and harder to get into? Do you or anyone have any good or bad experiences with penn's program or even applying to their postbac?

seventiesgal200 said:
lol yea I read your Columbia posting on the other thread...it's really that bad, huh? I mean I researched all of this and Columbia does seem like the best choice - it looks professional, it does cost a lot (but I guess for the name, it does seem worth it), and it's COLUMBIA. I see what you mean - it does look like a "Machiavelli" type of setting (that might be too strong a word). I didn't even think about undergraduates (I am an undergraduate) and I can see them looking at post baccs like how you mentioned. I know people who have gone to Columbia and said it was good, but we are looking at a different situation. Do you know if NYU is like that too? You got out of NY right? I think that's the best thing if you want more individual attention instead of the "lecture type" of setting. Thanks again and when applying to post bacc (which will be soon) I'm not going to consider Columbia as I would have. =)

Really just don't go there. I think if you talk to some of the others on this board that have experience with the Columbia system, you'll get the same response. Even my friends that are still there are ready to hang it all up and quit. Its pretty miserable unless you have a ton of money, went to an elite bording school and have a fantastic knowlege base already (don't even consider without ap physics, chem, bio under your belt), or if your just sadomasochistic. Medschools are, in the end, number ******. They'd rather see a 3.8 from your state school than at 3.2 from Columbia. That's just how it is (plus, it's not like you get a degree from columbia, because you only take 8 classes, so you don't benefit from the name recognition as much as you might think). Look at it this way:

You can either:
(A)Go to your state school, study hard for the mcat and you can be the top applicant in your class.

or

(B) Go to Columbia, study hard, pay out the a**, and there will still be a dozen kids ahead of you who already have masters degrees and ivy league diplomas from undergrad hanging on their walls. And then, when you do apply, the committee will look you all over and give you a "fair" ranking.

Who's a medschool going to accept: the state school kid that their pre-health committee is gushing over or the "fair" Columbia post bacc?

Of course, if you are well-off, have a couple of masters degrees, and can compete for that elusive A in the Columbia arena, doing well there will get you in somewhere.

Crake said:
Really just don't go there. I think if you talk to some of the others on this board that have experience with the Columbia system, you'll get the same response. Even my friends that are still there are ready to hang it all up and quit. Its pretty miserable unless you have a ton of money, went to an elite bording school and have a fantastic knowlege base already (don't even consider without ap physics, chem, bio under your belt), or if your just sadomasochistic. Medschools are, in the end, number ******. They'd rather see a 3.8 from your state school than at 3.2 from Columbia. That's just how it is (plus, it's not like you get a degree from columbia, because you only take 8 classes, so you don't benefit from the name recognition as much as you might think). Look at it this way:

You can either:
(A)Go to your state school, study hard for the mcat and you can be the top applicant in your class.

or

(B) Go to Columbia, study hard, pay out the a**, and there will still be a dozen kids ahead of you who already have masters degrees and ivy league diplomas from undergrad hanging on their walls. And then, when you do apply, the committee will look you all over and give you a "fair" ranking.

Who's a medschool going to accept: the state school kid that their pre-health committee is gushing over or the "fair" Columbia post bacc?

Of course, if you are well-off, have a couple of masters degrees, and can compete for that elusive A in the Columbia arena, doing well there will get you in somewhere.

Yeah, I think I've decided against Columbia (not sure about NYU yet). My state school would be Columbia or NYU or City College or Hunter - all which are very close to me - so that's why I'm confused. I'm nearing closer and closer to the Harvard program -- even Bryn Mawr (but i heard - i think it was on another thread - that you need to take chemistry to even be considered. Is that true? What are they really looking for - high GPA?).

No master degrees yet - still in college so I'd probably be worse at Columbia. Still have a little bit more than a year to decide. Thanks for clarifying. :)

Something you really need to consider is your state residency. I would seriously recommend that you stay in NY and apply to the many many NY state med schools. If you move out of NY and gain residency in another state (usually takes one year) you will lose your NY state residency. This would be especially detrimental if you move to a state with highly competitive med schools like CA or a state with only one med school like VT. It would suck the most, however, if you move to a state like MASS where you have to be a resident of the state for 5 years before you can even APPLY to the state med school. NY has so many awesome state schools and some that are relatively easy to get into. I would so stay in NY. I went to MASS for undergrad and am doing my post-bacc here now and I basically have to just hang out here another 2 years in order to even apply to UMASS MED. I am a person without a state medical school. You don't want to be in that situation.

PineappleGirl said:
Something you really need to consider is your state residency. I would seriously recommend that you stay in NY and apply to the many many NY state med schools. If you move out of NY and gain residency in another state (usually takes one year) you will lose your NY state residency. This would be especially detrimental if you move to a state with highly competitive med schools like CA or a state with only one med school like VT. It would suck the most, however, if you move to a state like MASS where you have to be a resident of the state for 5 years before you can even APPLY to the state med school. NY has so many awesome state schools and some that are relatively easy to get into. I would so stay in NY. I went to MASS for undergrad and am doing my post-bacc here now and I basically have to just hang out here another 2 years in order to even apply to UMASS MED. I am a person without a state medical school. You don't want to be in that situation.

In regards to the residency, if I go to a post bacc program - let's say in mass - i have to wait five years after med school to do my residency or is it lets say one year post bacc, and four year medicine and then i can do it? But the last two years of medicine could you still work in a hospital? Do you have to live in a state for a certain time? Please elaborate. I would love to hear this before I make my decision. Thanks.