civic4982 said:
I'm just about to finish the first summer session here at Texas Tech. The fact that I'm losing this entire summer and next summer for a stressful courseload is making me feel like quitting. I came into this so that I could have a better shot at a better residency and learn more about health organizational management (that's what our MBA program's concentration is in). I've recently heard that there really aren't many perks when it comes resdiency time for an MD/MBA over an MD applicant. Also, having next summer off to do an interesting internship/preceptorship might better help me be competitive during the match. Finally is the fact that I've gotta add on an additional class every semester during medical school. I haven't begun yet but I figure medical school load is difficult enough without an additional 1 or maybe 2 b-classes. I've never had biochem/anatomy so it'll be a tough first year.
What kind of benefits can I expect when it comes residency time? Will an MBA be more beneficial to me now after only one year of work experience (management of a small 2-doc practice) or better later on in my career? Have any of you others thought about quitting? Why did you stay? What about 3rd and 4th year rotations? Did any of you have to give up the chance to do away rotations b/c of b-school? Does that put us at a disadvantage when it comes match time?
You would be much better served by dropping the MBA now and going to the regular MD program. You will not learn anything of significance in an MBA program which will assist you in either matching to a choice residency or running a practice in the future. In the future, you will provide medical care while your nurse will assist, your administrative assistants will make the appointments and file the insurance claims, your lawyer will provide you with legal advice and your accountant will assist with a variety of tax reporting and payment issues. Notice your lack of involvement in any decisions that require formal business training. By staying in the MBA program, all you are doing is creating stress for yourself and running up needless debt for classes of very dubious value.
As I have remarked in previous posts, the MBA is a very low value credential. I graduated from a top 20 school with a 3.8. The degree cost me a lot of money and stress yet failed to open any career doors. I was sold a bill of goods like most people who believe an MBA will enhance their career options.
Wrong. The MBA is just a huge quantity of busy work dressed up as scholarship so it can be sold for a high price to people who believe in the notion that they will learn something in business school that will enhance their future economic success.
Wrong again. The only class I found in any manner enlightening was finance which I would recommend to everyone. It always helps to grasp how money works. The remainder of B school is a complete waste of time, energy and stress that is devoid of applicable learning.
The MBA is marketed heavily by business schools since it is so profitable to teach. One professor per subject, one class room and often over 100 tuition paying students who will not need any costly labs. Sounds like a money maker to me. Please note that there are over 700 MBA granting institutions in the United States. The degree does not confer any unique benefits on the holder. It just means you were sold the same bill of goods.
I have a number of friends who are very successful physician/business people. They do not have any formal business training. When they require legal, business or accounting expertise, they purchase it like any other service.
To answer your question "What kind of benefits can I expect when it comes residency time?", the answer is
none at all. In fact you may suffer for the higher class load you carried which detracted from the time available to study anatomy, physio, pharm, etc. and excel on the boards. Why do that to yourself? Drop out of that useless MBA now and focus all of your energies on learning the medical sciences.
Good luck with your decision and with your future in medicine.