Stay with MD/PhD dream, or go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

resoluteraspberry

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm caught whether I should still consider MD/PhD a viable option, or if I should just go into industry as a regular mechanical engineer given my poor stats. I know after doing research with my MD/PhD PI, talking to many MD/PhD students, talking with many people in industry, etc. that this is what I want to do, but I'm not sure I can pull it off at this point. Let me know what your thoughts are.

AA woman, low SES, first generation
Senior in engineering major at Ivy
3.2 cGPA/sGPA -- however this will change as I still need to finish premed requirements like second half of chem, orgos, biochem + labs
No MCAT -- because I haven't finished the courses needed

Two summers' of research in engineering lab -- a few undergrad and local presentations/posters from this
Two years of research in my school's MD/PhD director's lab -- working on my first publication with this lab
Will be doing the NIH IRTA program for two years after I graduate

Have been very involved in diversity efforts on campus, esp. within AA engineering organization and underrepresented student group; am also a member in the school orchestra, hospice volunteer, outreach partner at an organization that helps HIV+ individuals, Big Sister in the Big Brothers + Big Sisters program, as well as a science outreach/communication volunteer

I'm worried about whether I should keep on the path to the MD/PhD. If I were to go for it, I'd have to spend a lot of money finishing the premed requirements, taking the MCAT (and doing very well in both of these things), as well as eventually applying. MD/PhD is definitely the option I want but it is much riskier than say, me just going into industry as an engineer.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not qualified to say if you are competitive or not, but I want to remind you that MD/PhD training is not the only path to a career in biomedical research or as a physician scientist. If you decide that MD/PhD is not realistic for you, you could still consider the MD only or PhD only routes, depending on if patient care is vitally important to you.

As an engineer, I understand the appeal of ditching the whole process and going directly into industry, but I want to point out that there are options in between these two dichotomous paths.

On the other hand, if you decide right now that you want to pursue your career in engineering, that does not mean that the doors to an MD, PhD, or MD/PhD are totally closed to you. In fact, it may look better if you put some time between yourself and your undergrad grades.

Finally, if you choose the MD only route, note that you will still have a nicely orthogonal skillset to most premeds owing to your engineering background, so that could help you stand out in your research career.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not qualified to say if you are competitive or not, but I want to remind you that MD/PhD training is not the only path to a career in biomedical research or as a physician scientist. If you decide that MD/PhD is not realistic for you, you could still consider the MD only or PhD only routes, depending on if patient care is vitally important to you.

As an engineer, I understand the appeal of ditching the whole process and going directly into industry, but I want to point out that there are options in between these two dichotomous paths.

On the other hand, if you decide right now that you want to pursue your career in engineering, that does not mean that the doors to an MD, PhD, or MD/PhD are totally closed to you. In fact, it may look better if you put some time between yourself and your undergrad grades.

Finally, if you choose the MD only route, note that you will still have a nicely orthogonal skillset to most premeds owing to your engineering background, so that could help you stand out in your research career.

Good luck!

The appeal in industry rests in that it would be the more inexpensive, easier option -- I wouldn't have to take more classes and the MCAT, and potentially apply to these schools only to have nothing pan out. At least I know I'd be able to get a job without many more hoops after graduation. However, I really know that my heart is in the other path.

If you have upward GPA trend with mostly As in pre-med requirements and a high MCAT, I think you will be competitive after your IRTA.

That's what I'm hoping!

3.2 cGPA/sGPA -- however this will change as I still need to finish premed requirements like second half of chem, orgos, biochem + labs

I'm worried about whether I should keep on the path to the MD/PhD. If I were to go for it, I'd have to spend a lot of money finishing the premed requirements, taking the MCAT (and doing very well in both of these things), as well as eventually applying. MD/PhD is definitely the option I want but it is much riskier than say, me just going into industry as an engineer.

IMHO you have an EXCELLENT chance of getting into at least one MD/PhD programs, assuming that you get a reasonable MCAT score and bring up your GPA in the next couple of years. You demographic profile is right on target for most of the MSTPs and it's a major hook. I would encourage you to remain optimistic in pursuing this pathway. In particular, I would ignore advice that you might receive that your numbers are not good enough and therefore you should give up. Having now been in some closed door meetings of this type, someone with your academic profile the numbers would be scrutinized in a very different context. I would also play up the diversity related activities in your application so people would be aware of who you are and what you've done.

Also, keep in mind--in the long run, MDPHD is likely the less expensive and risky option than industry engineering with a college degree.

IMHO you have an EXCELLENT chance of getting into at least one MD/PhD programs, assuming that you get a reasonable MCAT score and bring up your GPA in the next couple of years. You demographic profile is right on target for most of the MSTPs and it's a major hook. I would encourage you to remain optimistic in pursuing this pathway. In particular, I would ignore advice that you might receive that your numbers are not good enough and therefore you should give up. Having now been in some closed door meetings of this type, someone with your academic profile the numbers would be scrutinized in a very different context. I would also play up the diversity related activities in your application so people would be aware of who you are and what you've done.

Also, keep in mind--in the long run, MDPHD is likely the less expensive and risky option than industry engineering with a college degree.

Thank you for your input! I'm trying not to get bogged down my depressing thoughts about my numbers...

Hey everyone. I'm caught whether I should still consider MD/PhD a viable option, or if I should just go into industry as a regular mechanical engineer given my poor stats. I know after doing research with my MD/PhD PI, talking to many MD/PhD students, talking with many people in industry, etc. that this is what I want to do, but I'm not sure I can pull it off at this point. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Two summers' of research in engineering lab -- a few undergrad and local presentations/posters from this
Two years of research in my school's MD/PhD director's lab -- working on my first publication with this lab
Will be doing the NIH IRTA program for two years after I graduate

Have been very involved in diversity efforts on campus, esp. within AA engineering organization and underrepresented student group; am also a member in the school orchestra, hospice volunteer, outreach partner at an organization that helps HIV+ individuals, Big Sister in the Big Brothers + Big Sisters program, as well as a science outreach/communication volunteer

I think having a low GPA just means that you have to be creative. Are you willing to go to a rural location MD/PhD program? Are you willing to start a PhD program somewhere and be in talks to also complete a MD as well? I also know people that went to medical school and residency and then did a PhD as an attending. They told me stories of working 3 days a week clinically/3 days as a PhD student and hiring their own Post-Doc.

I think having a low GPA just means that you have to be creative. Are you willing to go to a rural location MD/PhD program?

How many MD/PhD programs are in rural locations?

Are you willing to start a PhD program somewhere and be in talks to also complete a MD as well?

I strongly advise not to do this.

I also know people that went to medical school and residency and then did a PhD as an attending. They told me stories of working 3 days a week clinically/3 days as a PhD student and hiring their own Post-Doc.

How long ago was this? That would be incredibly unusual today.

Reactions: 2 users
I am just an applicant this cycle, so you can take what I say with some skepticism. I think it might be important to consider that the statistics you see are averages. There will always be people above and below those metrics. If you are below the average GPA then maybe a good MCAT can help lend credence to your app. Likewise, perhaps a good research stint at the NIH will help bolster your app in the eyes of an adcom member. I would say with a well rounded school list you have a real shot at getting in somewhere. You will probably have to focus more on your essays to showcase who you are and what you bring to the table, but with that being said I don’t think the door is ever closed for this path. If you can get your GPA up slightly that will definitely help, but its just one number in a whole package and due to the fewer number of apps for MD/PhD I genuinely believe they try to read beyond just numbers to figure out if there are valid reasons.

Just my two cents as an optimist.

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone, thank you for your replies. They're giving me some hope that with some continued heavy effort and proper framing of my story, I'll stand a chance!

Everyone, thank you for your replies. They're giving me some hope that with some continued heavy effort and proper framing of my story, I'll stand a chance!

Feel free to PM if you need anything. I had a similar situation as yours. My GPA was higher, but I didn't go to an ivy league school. I'm also at the NIH, so if you have any questions about that, let me know. I'm glad you decided to stick with it. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user