Staying in Undergrad vs. Postbacc

Started by shuna2002
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shuna2002

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a huge decision to make as I will be reapplying to medical schools after improving my academic credentials.

I was recently accepted into MBS program at Midwestern, so I must make a decision soon.

My original plan was to retake few courses and take upper division biology courses in the same undergraduate school I'm graduating from this June.

I have a low GPA (3.3) so I must improve it in order to increase my chance of getting into medical school.

- If I go to MBS, it is a Master's level so my GPA will start over again, which will give me an opportunity to achieve a high GPA in graduate school (I know that med school will look at undergrad GPA, too).
- If I stay in undergrad, retaking would be fairly easy and taking upper bio classes shouldn't be that bad because I know the faculties and have friends who can help greatly.

So please give me your advice on this decision.
Should I go to MBS to study very hard and get a high graduate GPA?
Or should I just stay and retake some courses to improve undergrad GPA?

Which choice do you think will give me a good chance to get into medical school?
I'm sure someone had the same experience before.

Thank you for all your advises~~~~~🙂
 
Are you open to applying to DO schools? If so, a 3.3 should be fine as long as you can get an MCAT in the mid/high 20s. With a mid/high 30s MCAT, I think you would still have a chance at allo schools. I would personally just stay in undergrad a bit longer, possibly boost the GPA to ~3.4 and then study like crazy for the MCAT.
 
Last edited: