Staying sharp after residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onokentauros

A one and a two and a...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fellow head and neck surgeons,
I'm a recent grad going into general Otolaryngology, starting in a multispecialty group practice. Currently studying for the written boards, but had some questions about structuring a study plan while in practice.

During residency, my study schedule consisted of the following:
-One to two chapters of Bailey's weekly (we had didactics 3 hours/week from September-July every year) - I was usually able to reach this goal when not on the more brutal rotations
-Resident home study course (from years PGY-3 onwards)
-Reading the Laryngoscope/White Journal (admittedly, only reading things that were interesting, never cover-to-cover, maybe 2-3 papers/month at most)
-KJ Lee / AcademyQ questions in the months leading up to the in-service exam
-Surgical guides (VULA, Operative Techniques, subspecialty-specific books like Wormald or Brackmann) for cases

I asked my mentors for their takes on studying after residency and got a multitude of answers - one of them continues to do the home study course for 15+ years after residency, while another still reads Bailey's chapters on the regular. Many don't have a defined study pattern, but the ones that do seem to be more well read/up to date on our guidelines and standards of care. That said, how do y'all approach studying after residency? Most (all?) of us read up on difficult/interesting patients that we see in the clinic, but do any of you have a structured study plan for keeping up to date? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.