Staying upbeat about the process

Started by HealthE
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Trying to understand and conceptualizer things I learn and make connections with real world.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I get tired of doing school work and studying I just think of how crappy I will feel tomorrow when I have to do everything for the next day plus everything I didn't finish today! Or how good I will feel the next day when I have very little to do because I finished now!

And when I'm feeling just like it's all useless I think of how a career as a doctor is much more beneficial to EVERYONE than a career in retail. 🙂
 
How do you normally deal with stress & fatigue?

Some people party/socialize to blow off steam.
Some people work out/exercise.
Some people sleep.
Some people meditate.
 
What helps you stay upbeat when you get tired of studying?

I let the thought of failing out of pre-med/med school/residency creep into my mind - this gets me going. Oh wait, you want upbeat...hmm.....I got nothing.

Actually, I guess in residency I like to think of it as it will all help me be a better doctor and it may actually help my patients. That is definitely a rather abstract and down-the-road concept with the pre-med stuff I realize.
 
What helps you stay upbeat when you get tired of studying?

Exercise, exercise, exercise. Also, while studying I listen to Philip Glass, E.S. Posthumus, and other inspiring music on Pandora. Nothing with lyrics. These two things worked magic for me.
 
I think about the day that I will be able to share with everyone I know that I got in to medical school.