Stellate blocks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lobelsteve

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just in case you did not look into the Pain forum.
Here is a procedure video you will enjoy.

Members don't see this ad.

sounds like the "lead provider" should just be handing this to the patients in the waiting room

Featured-1-1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Meanwhile, somewhere there is a resident on the interview trail to spend an additional year studying regional anesthesia .

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Just in case you did not look into the Pain forum.
Here is a procedure video you will enjoy.

Has this been reported to the appropriate state boards? It isn’t long before these types of shenanigans get someone maimed or killed.

They took the video down but wow was it shocking. I can't imagine letting a nurse and a chiropractor anywhere near my neck with a needle.

What in the actual Fuak is this pile of human excrement?

Reactions: 2 users
Sadly California is full of gullible people with money and time to burn going to fake doctors.

Agree @nimbus.

This seems criminal to me and the state should step in and squash these types of practices. Furthermore, the pain medicine board should be bringing this kind of crap to legislative hearings @lobelsteve .

Just sad to see a specialty branch of medicine come to this.

How is it any different from crnas intubating, placing blocks, performing tee?

for the sake of conversation, RTs intubate people

Reactions: 2 users

I’ve never let a crna do any of that... except to intubate. Very different when they are doing deep blocks with a f’n chiropractor. Crna’s have ZERO business picking up the probe and if they do under your watch you are part of the problem.

Reactions: 5 users
I’ve never let a crna do any of that... except to intubate. Very different when they are doing deep blocks with a f’n chiropractor. Crna’s have ZERO business picking up the probe and if they do under your watch you are part of the problem.

I am on the same page as you. I do my own cases. I do what's best for my patients everyday.

Reactions: 1 users
well for one because you're about 3mm from the carotid artery with an u/s guided stellate. Guess what happens if you injection LA into the carotid artery. Immediately life threatening. Missing airway always rescuable with multiple subsequent techniques and wouldn't be done without a bunch of other people who could immediately help you, most basic blocks not nearly as high-stakes if you're off-target. When I do u/s guided stellate, despite being very competent with ultrasound guided techniques, it makes me more nervous than pretty much any other procedure I do and I do this with my partner who is also an anesthesiologist. These "providers" probably don't even realize what's at stake if they mess up

Reactions: 1 users
well for one because you're about 3mm from the carotid artery with an u/s guided stellate. Guess what happens if you injection LA into the carotid artery. Immediately life threatening. Missing airway always rescuable with multiple subsequent techniques and wouldn't be done without a bunch of other people who could immediately help you, most basic blocks not nearly as high-stakes if you're off-target. When I do u/s guided stellate, despite being very competent with ultrasound guided techniques, it makes me more nervous than pretty much any other procedure I do and I do this with my partner who is also an anesthesiologist. These "providers" probably don't even realize what's at stake if they mess up

Aside from cervical transforaminal epidural injections (which frankly shouldn’t be done anyway), this is one of the most dangerous blocks in chronic pain. Risk of intrathecal injection, intravascular injection, damage to local structures (esophageal injury) is high in those with no clue what they are doing.