Step 1 Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulscientist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am set to take my exam in a little less than 3 weeks. I am hoping to get advice on further boosting my scores. Sorry in advance for being that guy listing scores that many would very much appreciate, though apparently not enough for one person (a competitive specialty is on my potential list).

NBME 13: 240 NBME 16: 230 (sloppy mistakes) UWSA 1: 266 NBME 15: 250 (with extra questions to make it close to actual exam length) UWSA 2: 251 (with extra questions to make it actual exam length). UWorld first pass: 78% (with ~500 questions left)

As I showed myself, I can clearly do better than I recently did on my last two exams. I am looking for any advice that could help me out. My typical day: 60-80 questions on test taking conditions, go through my Anki and prev made new cards, review questions and make new Anki cards. I am using my long term Anki and questions to guide review on what I recognize that I need to take another look at. Per my last UWSA exam, the majority of the questions that I missed were due to not knowing the particular topic or terminology rather than forgetting it.

Of note, I have studied FA over the past two years by making cards as I have needed to learn things and have gone over everything there. My study plan does not include reading FA further as I learn the best with active learning of flashcards and questions, though perhaps taking a look would be useful.

My anki deck is typically lengthy, around 400-550 cards a day that are indepth. Takes around 3-4 hours to get through with new cards taking about 45 minutes. So probably a place of improvement. Not sure if I should trade this with doing more questions. And it appears that making my testing longer appears to change things so perhaps this is also an endurance issue.

Members don't see this ad.

My only suggestion would be to spend more time with UWorld over the next few weeks. I don't know what your goal is but based on your practice tests I'd say you're in the 250+ range. I had similar NBME scores... the average of which actually underpredicted my actual score by 20. UWSA2 was closest (within 1 pt). Good luck!