Step 1: Advise please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JiminyCricket

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have all these materials but dont know what is the most efficient way to study for Step 1. I need some advise from those of you who have taken the exam and done well.

1. I have Kaplan's organ systems and Lecture note books. I like the lecture notes better, because i can read them faster. However, i dont have the cash on me to sign up for the class, but if all is good, perhaps someone will pm me the videos/audios or something.

2. i got Goljan's Rapid Review. i breifly listened to a friends audio lectures and he references all these slides, which i have no idea of how to access....is it possible to access these slides? also, my friend is out of the country so i'm going to try to get the audio files ...where can i get these? if i am unable to get the slides/images, is skimming through images from Robbins Path enough?)

So, this is what i am thinking so far....

Pharm- 1st Aid...memorize cold
Biochem - 1st Aid and Kaplan lecture notes provided i get a pm for the videos
Behavorial Science- Kaplan lecture notes or High Yield (any suggestions?)
Anatomy- Kaplan lecture notes
Micro/Immuno- BRS (its much shorter)
Neuroanatomy- debating between HY or Kaplan Lecture notes (any suggestions?)
Embryo- HY and First Aid only
Physio- BRS
Path- Rapid Review (Goljan)
Histo- no idea...what to use? there is a histo section in the organ based books...is that fine?

Which is a better source of ?'s: Q-bank, Robbins Review of Path, or NMS?

i plan to organize the schedule according to the organ systems books...
for example, two days on respiratory where i got through the resp section of the embryo, histo, anatomy, physio, path and pharm and so on.

am i going to run into problems by mixing different sources? (if i used one source like all kaplan lecture notes (which i dont have video or audio files for) i dont know if i'd have time to finish.)

also, if i just use the Goljan Rapid Review, is that enough. Everyone seems to be talking about his program like it really works. My friend left me a packet of his High Yield notes, they are THICK....is it worth my time to read those for subjects like Micro etc. how do i distribute the time?

also, if i dont get the video/audio for the kaplan lecture notes will they be comprehendable by just reading through them, or will this strategy make it very hard to get the important concepts out of the reading?

what is going to give me the biggest bang for the time spent on it?

i am married with two kids so efficiency is key. I do however want to do well on the exam. Any help would be very appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.