Step 1 BattlePlan for a Closet Slacker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

San_Juan_Sun

Professor of Life
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm coming out of the closet: I am..... <gulp>.... a slacker. (In reality, I have a family and other outside interests. I do pretty well with what would be "minimal study" for most of my classmates.)

I could study more, and do a little better, but for my career plans my didatic ranking won't mean all that much. My step 1 scores are a different matter. Of course, given the emnity some here have for people that don't kill themselves with Netter's and notecards, I'm expecting some wrath coming my way. However, I have a plan to rock step 1, and I'd be interested to hear from likeminded students who've been-there-done-that. A bit about me first:

I am a DO student, so I'll definately be taking COMLEX. Right now I think I'll probably take the USMLE (although I don't HAVE to for my desired specialty, even though I intend to go ACGME). I typically study for 8-12 hours for a given test, usually the ay before and the morning of. I generally pick up the concepts quickly, and remember the details long enough for the test. I'm usually pretty good at standardized, multiple choice style tests.

I don't have anxiety about boards. I'm not worried about performing under pressure. I do worry a bit that my relative lack of study will put me behind in studying for the boards (I have no doubt that given sufficient and effective prep time, I'll be fine). So here's the situation and the plan:

Situation: My last quarter or med school starts tomorrow. It's a pretty light load, so I'll have plenty of time to study all quarter long. I ten have 3 weeks to study before the COMLEX. If I do take the USMLE, I'll take it two weeks after COMLEX.

Plan: All I've heard from students and residents is "know First Aid cold". Since I'm a DO student I'll also need to prep for OMM questions. My goal is to start with First Aid as a primary source, and supplement concepts and pneumonics from other board review texts. I also like Step Up, just because it's systems based and a nice change of pace. I already have Q-bank lined up, and have access to plenty of practice USMLEs and a limited number of COMLEXs. (I'm a big beleiver in practice tests after doing them before the MCAT).

1st 3-4 weeks of 10 week quarter: Go thru First Aid/Step Up (and supplements) once really well. I'm talking memorize these things. I'm generally thinking 4-6 hours a day, depending on the day.

2nd 3-4 weeks: Rinse and repeat. Incorporate test questions as I cover applicable subjects.

Last 2-3 weeks: Continue as before, except now focus on First Aid and OMT Review by Savarese. By this point I should have identified and started to address weaknesses.

After Finals-3 weeks to COMLEX: Practice questions now gain more emphasis. Some group study/tests. Reduce bok study but still place some emphasis on Savarese.

Day before test: Do nothing.

After COMLEX-Before USMLE (if I take it): Identify weak areas again and brush up.

Nexy 6-8 weeks: pray.

Now I know this sounds ambitious, but in prior lives I've worked plenty and know what I can do and for how long. I'm also fairly confident that a rigorous (within reason) course of study will have me plenty prepared for COMLEX (which I want to kill). Anyways, I'd appreciate any input from kindred spirits. Good luck to everybody.

Members don't see this ad.

San_Juan_Sun said:
1st 3-4 weeks of 10 week quarter: Go thru First Aid/Step Up (and supplements) once really well. I'm talking memorize these things. I'm generally thinking 4-6 hours a day, depending on the day.

2nd 3-4 weeks: Rinse and repeat. Incorporate test questions as I cover applicable subjects.

Last 2-3 weeks: Continue as before, except now focus on First Aid and OMT Review by Savarese. By this point I should have identified and started to address weaknesses.

After Finals-3 weeks to COMLEX: Practice questions now gain more emphasis. Some group study/tests. Reduce bok study but still place some emphasis on Savarese.

that is a slackers study schedule......?

Gulp...I'm screwed.