Step 1 Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saxappeal1

M.D.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what is the consensus about which step 1 class is the best to take, if any? I hope I'm not beating a dead horse, and I'm not trolling, I am seriously asking. Any advice appreciated
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

By "Step 1 Class" do you mean attending a live class with lectures or just buying a larger review course online? The school I am attending has a Kaplan Live Lecture Course every year and I attended this after third year (6 year program). Some of the teachers were phenomenal, others not so much. Obviously, this happens everywhere and there will always be a lecturer that is gifted and has the ability to truly teach students and others are just doing it as their job. During the course I was satisfied with the review, but looking back in time now I think I would have been better off studying the books/lectures at my own pace. We had about 5-6 days PER SUBJECT. Can you review all of physiology in 5-6 days? Kaplan makes that possible, but it was difficult to retain all that info. They told us we need to study when we come home and review the day. I wasn't able to after spending 9 hours in a lecture hall everyday. This is just my opinion and I would rather buy online access to be able to work at my own pace. Hope this gives you some general idea.

My school administered a NBME CBS exam right after we finished the Kaplan live course and our scores were poor. As I stated above, if I spent 2 months reading First Aid and doing some Qbank instead of passively listening to lectures, I might have reached a better baseline back then.

Members don't see this ad :)
By "Step 1 Class" do you mean attending a live class with lectures or just buying a larger review course online? The school I am attending has a Kaplan Live Lecture Course every year and I attended this after third year (6 year program). Some of the teachers were phenomenal, others not so much. Obviously, this happens everywhere and there will always be a lecturer that is gifted and has the ability to truly teach students and others are just doing it as their job. During the course I was satisfied with the review, but looking back in time now I think I would have been better off studying the books/lectures at my own pace. We had about 5-6 days PER SUBJECT. Can you review all of physiology in 5-6 days? Kaplan makes that possible, but it was difficult to retain all that info. They told us we need to study when we come home and review the day. I wasn't able to after spending 9 hours in a lecture hall everyday. This is just my opinion and I would rather buy online access to be able to work at my own pace. Hope this gives you some general idea.

My school administered a NBME CBS exam right after we finished the Kaplan live course and our scores were poor. As I stated above, if I spent 2 months reading First Aid and doing some Qbank instead of passively listening to lectures, I might have reached a better baseline back then.

3 weeks into a 7 week live program all I had accomplished was getting through a lot of seasons of anime on Netflix, I stopped going to class and started doing the qbank during class time. Don't regret it.