Step 1 COMLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kithara

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year student, but I don't really know much about the national board tests at all, the first one especially. Compounded with that, I'm loosely scheduled to be getting married that same summer. My question is, how is the test set up, and what kind of question format can I expect to see? Also, if anyone has any advice on juggling personal and academic schedules, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Use the search. On top of that, its called Level 1, not Step 1.

Long story short...get married after the test....or don't get married.

Wow, thanks for all that helpful advice. I did use the search, and didn't find any threads that were quite the same as what info I was hoping to get. Also, I didn't want to just go hijack someone else's thread. I do appreciate the correction on the name of the test. That's just what I had heard a bunch of people call it, and it will most likely yield some better search results. No need to be a dick though.

COMLEX level 1 is basically the USMLE Step 1 with OMM thrown in there. Some say it's easier with more direct questions, some say it's harder with tricky questions. It just all comes down to which test you get, what kind of experimental questions you get on it, etc.

The list of topics are here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COMLEX-USA

The topics that are heaviest are Pathology, OMM, Pharmacology, and Microbiology.

You want to do well on this test - it could determine your future. So I would recommend getting married at least a month after your test. (leading up to a wedding can be hectic) I would recommend going here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=27 and reading all the stickies on the top. That will answer most of your questions.

Also, talking to some of your upperclassmen will be really beneficial because they can give you advice specific to your curriculum and your school.