Step 1 DONE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phdmed07

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the USMLE today. Well spent 6 wks preparing for the exam and think I did ok. Felt pretty good about it, hopefully I will be very pleased in 6 wks when we get our scores back. Was exactly thinking of changing my date until next wk bc felt I wasnt prepared but if I changed it wouldnt have helped a bit. Q bank was right on the money, and all 1st aid and step up are lifesafers! Know those books COLD!!! First aid has about 90% of the info you need the rest can be found in step up. The one thing that did get me today were there were several diseases that I knew exactly what they were, but they wanted to know mode of inheritence.

ECU MED 07

Members don't see this ad.

phdmed07 said:
I took the USMLE today. Well spent 6 wks preparing for the exam and think I did ok. Felt pretty good about it, hopefully I will be very pleased in 6 wks when we get our scores back. Was exactly thinking of changing my date until next wk bc felt I wasnt prepared but if I changed it wouldnt have helped a bit. Q bank was right on the money, and all 1st aid and step up are lifesafers! Know those books COLD!!! First aid has about 90% of the info you need the rest can be found in step up. The one thing that did get me today were there were several diseases that I knew exactly what they were, but they wanted to know mode of inheritence.

ECU MED 07

Which diseases?

Definitely know all the diseases in Biochem section of first aid bc they would describe the disease and not ask you what it was but its mode of inheritance. As far as the exam I think I had way to many resources. I had alot of the underground clinal vignettes and several of the high yields series, I read high yield neuro, biochem and BRS path/phys/behav. Looking back I dont think that is was necessary. Doing Qbank and sticking to 1st aid/Step up is all you need. Just not enough time to go through all the resources in 6wks.
As far as the subjects
Behav/stats- everything in 1st aid
Anatomomy- Know the arches in 1st aid, everything else in step up
Biochem - Diseases in 1st aid, everything else covered in step aid
As far as everything else goes there were 4 diagrams in 1st aid you need to memorize!!!! Acid/Base chart on acidosis/alk, chart on lungs sounds (pneumothorax, pneumonia, effusion, obstruction), page describing murmor sounds, chart describing differences in Acute, renal, post renal failure. Everything else I think was well covered in step up. If its in bold or sidenote on the size thats the $$$$!
ECU Med 07

phdmed07 said:
Definitely know all the diseases in Biochem section of first aid bc they would describe the disease and not ask you what it was but its mode of inheritance. As far as the exam I think I had way to many resources. I had alot of the underground clinal vignettes and several of the high yields series, I read high yield neuro, biochem and BRS path/phys/behav. Looking back I dont think that is was necessary. Doing Qbank and sticking to 1st aid/Step up is all you need. Just not enough time to go through all the resources in 6wks.
As far as the subjects
Behav/stats- everything in 1st aid
Anatomomy- Know the arches in 1st aid, everything else in step up
Biochem - Diseases in 1st aid, everything else covered in step aid
As far as everything else goes there were 4 diagrams in 1st aid you need to memorize!!!! Acid/Base chart on acidosis/alk, chart on lungs sounds (pneumothorax, pneumonia, effusion, obstruction), page describing murmor sounds, chart describing differences in Acute, renal, post renal failure. Everything else I think was well covered in step up. If its in bold or sidenote on the size thats the $$$$!
ECU Med 07

Good to hear. What about molecular bio? I've noticed for the most part(from what I've seen in Q bank) that everything is in those two books, but if I needed extra clarification, i would go to brs phys.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not really any molecular other than basic stuff. Western blot=protein, pcr=high temperature, basic stuff that I wouldnt spend any time on once you understand the concepts. Also graphs on enzyme kinetics in 1st aid, important.
ECU Med 07

phdmed07 said:
Not really any molecular other than basic stuff. Western blot=protein, pcr=high temperature, basic stuff that I wouldnt spend any time on once you understand the concepts. Also graphs on enzyme kinetics in 1st aid, important.
ECU Med 07

What about pharm? Any pearls of wisdom? :luck:

Kluver_Bucy said:
What about pharm? Any pearls of wisdom? :luck:

yeah hope you had a good pharm class in school ;) my school didn't at all, we had a little bit of pharm at the end of each block. i had a bunch of pharm questions i never heard of and i can't even begin to recall them. they certainly were not in FA or any source i used. I would suggest knowing pharm in FA to at least get some right and hope the rest are experimental :D