USMLE Step 1 fast approaching. Feeling anxious!! Advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrKDIMG

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm an IMG prepping for Step 1 (3 weeks out) and I've covered 75% of the questions in UWORLD. My current average is 70% with my most recent blocks all mid 70s and low 80s and I started off with 50s and 60s. I can't seem to stay do away with the 70s and be well into the 80s and even hit the 90s. I feel like I should be getting higher % on my UWORLD blocks by now. I've done the following NBMEs :

NMBE 21 (baseline) - 190
NMBE 23 - 215
NBME 25 - 225

I've gone through FA, Pathoma and Sketchy micro twice and I made my own cue cards especially of my incorrects.
I'm aiming for at least a 245 (ideally 250+) and I'm hoping that my next NBME at least gets my into the 230's. Has anyone had similar scores in their UWORLD Q blocks and what scores did you get on the real thing? I'm trying to cover my weaknesses like biochem and genetics but I feel like as soon as I improve one section, I fall in the others and it's so frustrating! Do you think 250+ is feasible to reach within the next 3 weeks or should I push back my exam date? Helppp!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you taken the UW assessments? NBME 25 has a harsh curve, so you may see your next NBME score jump a bit. The UW assessments are supposedly the most accurate in score prediction.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for replying! No I haven't taken any of the UWSAs as yet because I wanted to take them when I knew my score should be near my goal score. I will probably take UWSA 1 next. Thanks for the suggestion. I did NBME 27 a few days ago and scored a 230. Not a great improvement from the previous NBME but improvement nonetheless. I think I will keep at it and do a test each week and gauge from there when I should take the test.

With you only having 3 weeks until your test i think it's time to at least take UW1 and see where that puts you. If you don't see 240+ on that it may be time to consider pushing it back a little bit. I'm surprised you're not doing that well on the NBMEs since your UW% correct is pretty good

Members don't see this ad :)
With you only having 3 weeks until your test i think it's time to at least take UW1 and see where that puts you. If you don't see 240+ on that it may be time to consider pushing it back a little bit. I'm surprised you're not doing that well on the NBMEs since your UW% correct is pretty good
Will do that later this week and see how that goes. Thanks for the advice. And I find I make lots of careless mistakes.. When I go over the NBMEs there are always around 4-5 that I knew but either misread or just answered stupidly so I'm working on that. Will keep you posted on the UWSA. Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 user
@Captain_Falcon :

Can you help me with what NBME's to take? I need to take Comlex 1 in 3 weeks and then will do Step 1 later this year (after Comlex 2).

Hey! Just to update: I got a 245 in my UWSA 1 and will take UWSA2 in a few days. 8 days out from Step 1 so really pushing hard now! Thanks again for your advice! @Captain_Falcon

Reactions: 1 users