USMLE Step 1 fast approaching. Feeling anxious!! Advice please!

Aug 26, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Hi! I'm an IMG prepping for Step 1 (3 weeks out) and I've covered 75% of the questions in UWORLD. My current average is 70% with my most recent blocks all mid 70s and low 80s and I started off with 50s and 60s. I can't seem to stay do away with the 70s and be well into the 80s and even hit the 90s. I feel like I should be getting higher % on my UWORLD blocks by now. I've done the following NBMEs :

NMBE 21 (baseline) - 190
NMBE 23 - 215
NBME 25 - 225

I've gone through FA, Pathoma and Sketchy micro twice and I made my own cue cards especially of my incorrects.
I'm aiming for at least a 245 (ideally 250+) and I'm hoping that my next NBME at least gets my into the 230's. Has anyone had similar scores in their UWORLD Q blocks and what scores did you get on the real thing? I'm trying to cover my weaknesses like biochem and genetics but I feel like as soon as I improve one section, I fall in the others and it's so frustrating! Do you think 250+ is feasible to reach within the next 3 weeks or should I push back my exam date? Helppp!

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Have you taken the UW assessments? NBME 25 has a harsh curve, so you may see your next NBME score jump a bit. The UW assessments are supposedly the most accurate in score prediction.

Reactions: 1 user
Aug 26, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Thanks for replying! No I haven't taken any of the UWSAs as yet because I wanted to take them when I knew my score should be near my goal score. I will probably take UWSA 1 next. Thanks for the suggestion. I did NBME 27 a few days ago and scored a 230. Not a great improvement from the previous NBME but improvement nonetheless. I think I will keep at it and do a test each week and gauge from there when I should take the test.

Aug 7, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
With you only having 3 weeks until your test i think it's time to at least take UW1 and see where that puts you. If you don't see 240+ on that it may be time to consider pushing it back a little bit. I'm surprised you're not doing that well on the NBMEs since your UW% correct is pretty good

About the Ads
Aug 26, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
With you only having 3 weeks until your test i think it's time to at least take UW1 and see where that puts you. If you don't see 240+ on that it may be time to consider pushing it back a little bit. I'm surprised you're not doing that well on the NBMEs since your UW% correct is pretty good
Will do that later this week and see how that goes. Thanks for the advice. And I find I make lots of careless mistakes.. When I go over the NBMEs there are always around 4-5 that I knew but either misread or just answered stupidly so I'm working on that. Will keep you posted on the UWSA. Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 user

KeepCalm11

10+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
@Captain_Falcon :

Can you help me with what NBME's to take? I need to take Comlex 1 in 3 weeks and then will do Step 1 later this year (after Comlex 2).

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.