Step 1 first attempt fail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SA node 12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi dear dr
I am a doctor from ... I graduate in 2006. It takes 2 years on and off for me to complete my study and get ready for step 1. I read all the Kaplan lecture notes and listen to DVDs. I do around 3000 tests but not from a definite Q bank and not in a situation the same as the real exam. In these two years, I continue to practice as an ER physician in the hospital. The exam cost around 3000 $ for me. I take the exam in 15 January 2014. I was in pressure and left around 40 question unanswered!
UW exam score: 214
5 February 2014, score release: Fail (183/75)

I am in shock. What should I do? Should I say goodbye to my dream? Is there any other choice for a physician in the U.S ? Is it reasonable to schedule for step 1 and 2 CK in a same time? In your opinion, which one is better: be a family physician in the U.S. or an ophthalmologist in my motherland? I’m so confused and need your advice. Please don’t deny helping me.The best.

Members don't see this ad.

matching will become more difficult the longer you take. A fail on Step 1 can be the kiss of death for the vast majority of US programs.

Where are you currently located? You would need to pass Step 1, Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS to be even remotely considered by any residency program. Some IMGs also take Step 3 in order to be more competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear notbobtrustme
I read this forum and know something about this hard way. But i don't have any other choice and must fight for my life. Whats your opinion if i try it again and break 240? is there any hope a coordinator look at me as an IMG?

Dear notbobtrustme
I read this forum and know something about this hard way. But i don't have any other choice and must fight for my life. Whats your opinion if i try it again and break 240? is there any hope a coordinator look at me as an IMG?

No one really knows how the sausage gets made, so I can't say for certain that you wouldn't get looked at. However, we do know what is coveted by PDs. A good score will certainly help along with first-time passes on CK and CS. You will probably need some US clinical experience as well in order to get Letters of Recommendation from US physicians.

The only thing you have to lose is more money. A great score on Step 1 might alleviate a first-time fail, but another fail or a low score will effectively shut the door on US licenseship.

You got a 183 with nearly an entire block unanswered? I don't know exactly how the scoring works but that's kind of impressive... I would've expected a much lower score.

To be completely honest, it doesn't look like you've got a good chance of matching at all. You are almost 10 years from graduation. Furthermore, you spent 2 years studying for step 1, which you failed. I suggest you pursue the specialty of your choice in your home country, instead of wasting time maybe matching in FM just for the sake of moving to the US.

You got a 183 with nearly an entire block unanswered? I don't know exactly how the scoring works but that's kind of impressive... I would've expected a much lower score.
Yes. I tagged uncertain questions and at the end I lost them. They was disperse in all 7 blocks and totally 40. I thought the remaining 280 are nearly all are true but ....

To be completely honest, it doesn't look like you've got a good chance of matching at all. You are almost 10 years from graduation. Furthermore, you spent 2 years studying for step 1, which you failed. I suggest you pursue the specialty of your choice in your home country, instead of wasting time maybe matching in FM just for the sake of moving to the US.
Thank you for your kind reply. I closed all the doors in these 2 years on my family and now its very disappointing ... Do I have any other choice in the U.S ? I don't want to say my family that I failed. Is there any other choice in spite of residency to move to the U.S. for a physician? My husband has a basic science master. Dose it open a door to us?

I hear that Austria and NZ accept step1 and 2ck. Dose my first attempt failure made my apply for Austria impossible too? please help me. dear doc.

Thank you for your kind reply. I closed all the doors in these 2 years on my family and now its very disappointing ... Do I have any other choice in the U.S ? I don't want to say my family that I failed. Is there any other choice in spite of residency to move to the U.S. for a physician? My husband has a basic science master. Dose it open a door to us?
If you are interested in research there are definitely opportunities for you and your husband to pursue scientific careers in the U.S. Ever thought of applying for doctoral studies?
I hear that Austria and NZ accept step1 and 2ck. Dose my first attempt failure made my apply for Austria impossible too? please help me. dear doc.
You must mean Australia, right? No, it doesn't matter.

I think it will be better for you to realize and acknowledge that it will be very difficult for you to get a residency spot in U.S. The possible options that I believe you still have are:

1. Go for MRCP/MRCS.
2. Go for either Australia or New Zealand. Their immigration policies are still lenient and if you satisfy their eligibility requirements,you might then have a fairly good chance of getting in.

Or you might as well develop and advance your career in your home country. Specialize locally and move forward.

Are you from subcontinent ?

I am sorry that you didn't pass, Step 1 is quite hard, the standard in the US is very tough, doctors over here know a lot more than other countries, but if you want to work here, study for it again, it will only make you better. It's a win win situation so go for it again

If you are interested in research there are definitely opportunities for you and your husband to pursue scientific careers in the U.S. Ever thought of applying for doctoral studies?
You must mean Australia, right? No, it doesn't matter.
Dear Analiscanalis:
On the base of my googling, doctoral study in the U.S. needs blabla... blabla... and at least three recommendation letters which the later is what I don't have. So it seems impossible to get an PHD position in the U.S. as well. Am I right?

I am sorry that you didn't pass, Step 1 is quite hard, the standard in the US is very tough, doctors over here know a lot more than other countries, but if you want to work here, study for it again, it will only make you better. It's a win win situation so go for it again
Hi xadmin
Really I think my test strategy was poor and I must do more and more tests in the timed arrangement. Sometimes I think if I work a little on the test situation management, I can pass it more better. My knowledge is excellent but I can't do the test ! It was my defect all the time: Wandering between two choices and finally, picking up the wrong answer! :mad: What's your idea? If I read again First Aid and do at least Kaplan Q bank and UW Q bank, they guarantee me to get an acceptable score?

I think it will be better for you to realize and acknowledge that it will be very difficult for you to get a residency spot in U.S. The possible options that I believe you still have are:

1. Go for MRCP/MRCS.
2. Go for either Australia or New Zealand. Their immigration policies are still lenient and if you satisfy their eligibility requirements,you might then have a fairly good chance of getting in.
Thank you for thinking about my complicated situation. I live in India now. Here, graduated physicians have not good future as you know. Where are you from? What are MRCP/MRCS? They are work situation as I know. Right?

Thank you for thinking about my complicated situation. I live in India now. Here, graduated physicians have not good future as you know. Where are you from? What are MRCP/MRCS? They are work situation as I know. Right?

MRCP/S= Member of royal college of physicians/Surgeons.

It is British equivalent of American MD. If you can successfully pass MRCP exams,I am sure many new opportunities will open up for you. You can also google it to find more information.

I am from a country which got independence one day before your country's independence date.:)

If you already did the Kaplan Qbank and Uworld Qbank, doing them again is good for practice, but it would not give you a realistic score because you would have already seen the questions. Why don't you try a different Qbank and study for it again using the actual computer Qbank. Is the cost of the Qbank a problem for you? This must be a tough time for you since you are close to passing.

It will take you longer but there is a way if there is a will, time and some $$$.
My advice: review USMLERx 1x , Uworld 3x , FA 3x, and take atleast 5 NBME s between each review. and you should hit 220+.
HOWEVER , the KEY is you have to do all of that in 3 months or less.
Long term studying for this test will do more harm than good.
when you pass you will have to find a good preceptor to do research and shadowing for a year or two and you will have a great chance to match FM.
GOOD LUCK!