Medical Step 1 for IM ? DO applicant ERAS 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking step 2 and comlex level 2 in a couple of weeks. But am considering taking step 1 after that, but I will most likely not get my scores until 2 weeks after PDs are able to view applications...
So would that significantly decrease my chances of getting more interview invites? if they see that I dont have a step 1 score as of yet? Because if so then is it just not worth taking it at all?

Also, would really appreciate advice in applying to DO friendly programs/ programs that accept COMLEX level 1 scores only? How can I go about finding which programs are friendly to DOs? Should I look to see if the PD is a DO? If most of their residents are DOs? How does one know?

IM hopeful!

It's hard to say, but it is extremely program dependent. The best indication of whether a program is DO-friendly is whether it has current DO's in the program. Even then, those DO's may be superstars, so it is hard to tell.

My suggestion, even for MD students, is to apply broadly. Residency applications, while still expensive, are far less expensive than medical school applications, so you can apply to a large number of residency programs and pick and choose from the interviews you get. If they are interviewing you, they are interested, and that will be your ultimate gauge of DO friendliness.

As an aside, once you are in residency, no one cares about this anymore. You are on equal footing when compared to your fellow residents.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.