step 1 for psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iatro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

wondering how important step 1 weighs for psych. like does a 240+, 250+, 260+ significantly help you out?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably at the more "prestigious" and "competitive" programs. My impression from my interviewing experience, though, was that step 1 was relatively unimportant in the big scheme of things. I scored 230-240 and one of my classmates scored 210-220 and we interviewed at essentially the same places. There seemed to be more value on LORs, interest in psychiatry, and impressions from the interview. I'm sure there are exceptions to this since every program will address this differently.

Reactions: 2 users
Probably at the more "prestigious" and "competitive" programs. My impression from my interviewing experience, though, was that step 1 was relatively unimportant in the big scheme of things. I scored 230-240 and one of my classmates scored 210-220 and we interviewed at essentially the same places. There seemed to be more value on LORs, interest in psychiatry, and impressions from the interview. I'm sure there are exceptions to this since every program will address this differently.

I agree. Having a super high step 1 isn't bad, but it isn't going to help nearly as much as in other fields.

Although I will say that my home PD said that he cares equally about step 1 and step 2 scores, and at this point I would recommend to every single person applying to psychiatry that they have step 2 in before ERAS gets submitted if it's possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1 is important to get you noticed at the larger name programs. Once the interview comes, it's a level playing field more or less.

hey guys,

wondering how important step 1 weighs for psych. like does a 240+, 250+, 260+ significantly help you out?

Yes, a 240-260 on Step 1 and 2 will open doors even if your interview is mediocre. Top top psychiatry programs like Columbia, JHU, Emory, Stanford will require you to interview well too. Most other programs like to see consistent scores without fails, where even 200+ can be enough.

It helps but psychiatry is holistic and one lacking component won't kill you except at the very most competitive programs. Not sure if you're about to take it or trying to sooth a wound but the step exam is one of the few things that, barring a freak event, is only dependent on your own preparation. So if you're looking ahead, do your best unless you have a good reason to slack... But if you slack and do poorly, I hope the things you have less control over (med school of origin, clinical grades, LORs) can make up for it.