Step 1 Guide for the Average Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USMELL

FIRE
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, this guide is for normal students out there, petrified about the USMLE step 1. To see if you are that student, I will give you some background info. I am an above average student, that typically gets good grades, but I am a poor test taker, somehow the material learned does not transfer to my answering test questions, especially standardized tests, I am talking SAT, MCAT etc. So going into the USMLE, I had a chip on my shoulder about conquering this big beast that everyone talks about. Needless to say, I was stressed, my pre-studying simulated exams were dismal, below 50% at times, I could barely stay awake for the 4 hour practice NBME exam. So here is how I went about passing this test.

1. Follow your own instincts, just because other students claim to study for only 4 weeks, doesn’t mean you have to, If you know you barely studied the first 2 years, or just crammed for exams, then you might want to start during spring break, maybe even winter break. Not intense studying, but just familiarizing yourself to the books, materials etc.
2. Don’t go crazy with too many books, yeah, yeah everyone says this, but I wish I could get back the money wasted on eBay and Amazon, on books I never even opened.
3. Don’t try to change your studying style now, do what works
4. USMLE is DOABLE, it is not as bad as it seems, and putting unnecessary pressure on your self is counterproductive. Seriously, I think the MCAT in some way was harder than the USMLE, and you made it through that, so relax.
5. okay, no more advice, here are my resources (Ps- I thought I would have better things to say, but I guess, most of my sage advice are clichés, but after typing all this out, I am not deleting this okay, sorry!)

Gross Anatomy: I think I over studied this, but I was really bad in gross, so I spent more time with this---FA and HY Gross anatomy
Embryology: Also wasted too much time, but I aced this section on my test, so I guess it wasn’t wasted---FA and HY embryology
Neuroanatomy: I sucked in Neuro, and I struggled with it, so I dedicated time to it, just for my self (nothing defeats me) --- HY Neuroanatomy and Kaplan (Neuro section)
Biochemistry, Cell biology, Genetics---Kaplan (excellent Biochem section, went through several times)
Physiology--- BRS physiology (I am not a BRS fan, I hate studying from bullets and sometimes I like the whole menu, not just the daily specials) went through once, but made sure to take extensive notes in FA, and staple copies of important tables into FA.

Aside: Excessive note taking in FA is pointless, when you try to review later, the clutter becomes annoying, and distracting. The only subjects worth writing notes into FA for are Physiology and Anatomy.

Pharmacology: FA (one of the few good sections in FA), Kaplan (wasn’t great, but I had the book so, pharmacology is just something you memorize, if you study it to early, you will forget it, so plan your studying well, and include lots of review time).

Microbiology: A skim through CMMRS (retained few mnemonics), Kaplan (pretty good IMO), Katzung’s (only the appendix covering important bugs to know)

Immunology: Kaplan

Behavioral: Kaplan, skimmed BRS behavioral (I wish I spent more time on this, though)

Pathology: I bought a brand new BRS pathology just for the boards, and I read it only once, I didn’t retain anything, it actually made me panic, considering Path was the biggest part on the test. I recommend using this book with your classes, but for boards’ pathology: GOLJAN, GOLJAN, GOLJAN, GOLJAN, just in case you missed than Goljan. He is single handedly the best board review resource by far. I think many medical students; owe this great teacher a lot. He is just a phenomenal teacher. I am not an auditory learner, so I initially bypassed Goljan that is one of my biggest regrets. There are so many bootleg Goljan items out there, but I suggest you buy his rapid review book, the new edition is rather large, but it is worth it IMO.

Misc: If you have time, I would also recommend HY histology, a secret gem, hiding under the wrong title, as it is more of a general review book covering the other HY series. Look at pictures: FA, Goljan etc

Questions:
Qbank- a good way to evaluate your studying, but wasting too much time reviewing this is a waste of time, completed just 50% (I wish I finished it though).
Qbook- good, used to break up the monotony of computer studying
BSS-great resource unfortunately discovered it, my last week of reviewing, so only completed like 200 questions, but doing that little was helpful. So something to consider if you have time
Released CD-didn’t do it, easier than the real thing
NBME: All four-last 2 done 2 weeks and 1 week till test date (scores were below average)
Another mistake, was not doing enough questions, or doing an 8 hour simulated exam to get my body used to the exam. Trust me by block 5, your eyes and mind are fighting to be set free.

Sorry, for the long novel, but several people on SDN helped me, get through my panic, doubt, and I promised God, that if I did well, I would write a guide to help others like me.

I won’t post my exact score here, because people know me on here. But it was (very) above average. I am just so grateful to God, that I don’t have to take this test again, I would have settled for just passing, so this is pretty sweet.

Finally, I reiterate do what works for you, don’t just follow other people methods, including my own, well except the Goljan thing, and the FA thing.

Goodluck!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks!.. do you by anychance know where to get goljan audio?... i looked at some other threads but the megadownload, doctalk, and demonoid don't work except for a few of the days. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for sharing USMELL. You bring hope to the rest of us out there and those that are just starting (like me).

Anyone else have encouraging stories like this?

Okay, this guide is for normal students out there, petrified about the USMLE step 1. To see if you are that student, I will give you some background info. I am an above average student, that typically gets good grades, but I am a poor test taker, somehow the material learned does not transfer to my answering test questions, especially standardized tests, I am talking SAT, MCAT etc. So going into the USMLE, I had a chip on my shoulder about conquering this big beast that everyone talks about. Needless to say, I was stressed, my pre-studying simulated exams were dismal, below 50% at times, I could barely stay awake for the 4 hour practice NBME exam. So here is how I went about passing this test.

1. Follow your own instincts, just because other students claim to study for only 4 weeks, doesn’t mean you have to, If you know you barely studied the first 2 years, or just crammed for exams, then you might want to start during spring break, maybe even winter break. Not intense studying, but just familiarizing yourself to the books, materials etc.
2. Don’t go crazy with too many books, yeah, yeah everyone says this, but I wish I could get back the money wasted on eBay and Amazon, on books I never even opened.
4. USMLE is DOABLE, it is not as bad as it seems, and putting unnecessary pressure on your self is counterproductive. Seriously, I think the MCAT in some way was harder than the USMLE, and you made it through that, so relax.
5. okay, no more advice, here are my resources (Ps- I thought I would have better things to say, but I guess, most of my sage advice are clichés, but after typing all this out, I am not deleting this okay, sorry!)

Gross Anatomy: I think I over studied this, but I was really bad in gross, so I spent more time with this---FA and HY Gross anatomy
Embryology: Also wasted too much time, but I aced this section on my test, so I guess it wasn’t wasted---FA and HY embryology
Neuroanatomy: I sucked in Neuro, and I struggled with it, so I dedicated time to it, just for my self (nothing defeats me) --- HY Neuroanatomy and Kaplan (Neuro section)
Biochemistry, Cell biology, Genetics---Kaplan (excellent Biochem section, went through several times)
Physiology--- BRS physiology (I am not a BRS fan, I hate studying from bullets and sometimes I like the whole menu, not just the daily specials) went through once, but made sure to take extensive notes in FA, and staple copies of important tables into FA.

Aside: Excessive note taking in FA is pointless, when you try to review later, the clutter becomes annoying, and distracting. The only subjects worth writing notes into FA for are Physiology and Anatomy.

Pharmacology: FA (one of the few good sections in FA), Kaplan (wasn’t great, but I had the book so, pharmacology is just something you memorize, if you study it to early, you will forget it, so plan your studying well, and include lots of review time).

Microbiology: A skim through CMMRS (retained few mnemonics), Kaplan (pretty good IMO), Katzung’s (only the appendix covering important bugs to know)

Behavioral: Kaplan, skimmed BRS behavioral (I wish I spent more time on this, though)

Pathology: I bought a brand new BRS pathology just for the boards, and I read it only once, I didn’t retain anything, it actually made me panic, considering Path was the biggest part on the test. I recommend using this book with your classes, but for boards’ pathology: GOLJAN, GOLJAN, GOLJAN, GOLJAN, just in case you missed than Goljan. He is single handedly the best board review resource by far. I think many medical students; owe this great teacher a lot. He is just a phenomenal teacher. I am not an auditory learner, so I initially bypassed Goljan that is one of my biggest regrets. There are so many bootleg Goljan items out there, but I suggest you buy his rapid review book, the new edition is rather large, but it is worth it IMO.

Misc: If you have time, I would also recommend HY histology, a secret gem, hiding under the wrong title, as it is more of a general review book covering the other HY series. Look at pictures: FA, Goljan etc

Questions:
Qbank- a good way to evaluate your studying, but wasting too much time reviewing this is a waste of time, completed just 50% (I wish I finished it though).
BSS-great resource unfortunately discovered it, my last week of reviewing, so only completed like 200 questions, but doing that little was helpful. So something to consider if you have time
NBME: All four-last 2 done 2 weeks and 1 week till test date (scores were below average)
Another mistake, was not doing enough questions, or doing an 8 hour simulated exam to get my body used to the exam. Trust me by block 5, your eyes and mind are fighting to be set free.

Sorry, for the long novel, but several people on SDN helped me, get through my panic, doubt, and I promised God, that if I did well, I would write a guide to help others like me.

I won’t post my exact score here, because people know me on here. But it was (very) above average. I am just so grateful to God, that I don’t have to take this test again, I would have settled for just passing, so this is pretty sweet.

Finally, I reiterate do what works for you, don’t just follow other people methods, including my own, well except the Goljan thing, and the FA thing.

Goodluck!!!
Your post met my mind in the middle. Thanks for your thoughts. Your return favor to God for a passing score was given to me (and likely others) by God. I promise to do the same.

I have 2 questions:

(1) Where do I find BSS?
(2) What did you score on Qbank?

Your post met my mind in the middle. Thanks for your thoughts. Your return favor to God for a passing score was given to me (and likely others) by God. I promise to do the same.

I have 2 questions:

(1) Where do I find BSS?
(2) What did you score on Qbank?
BSS -came on a CD I bought on ebay, along with the books
Qbank went from 40 to 50-60%

awsome decent honest post.i am also doing the same thing you did and its working out for me .But in my case I am an average student.made it thru classes..and exams.ALSO a mother .when ppl ask me how i am studying and what resources..and i try and tell them how i am doing it..they roll theur eyes. well i know how much i knew and how much i have gained since my review.i am also going at a slower pace,understanding and connectin g everything..any way great post I REPEAT and its exactly waht i am doing and its working out fro me ..YAY AVERAGE JANES AND JOES

Questions:

Goodluck!!!

Thanks for your advice. I have been using BRS path since first year and i think its pretty good and contains a lot of information. So why do you think path is better? I've never seen goljan nor used it before.

Thanks for your advice. I have been using BRS path since first year and i think its pretty good and contains a lot of information. So why do you think path is better? I've never seen goljan nor used it before.
Goljan just presents the material in a way that sticks, some do well without it, but I just had a block with BRS path, so a new resource was great solution.

awsome decent honest post.i am also doing the same thing you did and its working out for me .But in my case I am an average student.made it thru classes..and exams.ALSO a mother .when ppl ask me how i am studying and what resources..and i try and tell them how i am doing it..they roll theur eyes. well i know how much i knew and how much i have gained since my review.i am also going at a slower pace,understanding and connectin g everything..any way great post I REPEAT and its exactly waht i am doing and its working out fro me ..YAY AVERAGE JANES AND JOES
:). Ditto, sometimes it is best to go at ones pace, than follow the crowd, and do poorly, only to regret for the rest of your life. Goodluck!

Thanks.

So far I'm reading FA 2006, Step up 2nd ed., RR Path 2nd ed, BRS Phys 4th ed.

I've also got HY Neuro and Embryo lying in wait, and I've been starting the QBank via an early bird subscription. My overall so far is 60%. Working on raising that up. I try to do a set of 25 questions on stuff I'm studying/studied a night to keep the brain warm.

I definately agree that the new Rapid Review is money. I've not touched BRS Path since buying it. I have Goljan audio, but dont' find it too easy to listen to. I often distract and think of other things when it's running on my mp3 player anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
BSS -came on a CD I bought on ebay, along with the books
Qbank went from 40 to 50-60%
One last thing, I've done like 20% of qbank and before tonight I was at 60%. I had a bad night and dropped all the way down to 53%. I was hoping to take step 1 in march, and i just started taking the kaplan 6 week review. Do you think qbank was much of a predictor? and do you think i can be ready enough for the 1st or 2nd week of march? thanks again. it's nice to see someone who is honest.

One last thing, I've done like 20% of qbank and before tonight I was at 60%. I had a bad night and dropped all the way down to 53%. I was hoping to take step 1 in march, and i just started taking the kaplan 6 week review. Do you think qbank was much of a predictor? and do you think i can be ready enough for the 1st or 2nd week of march? thanks again. it's nice to see someone who is honest.
In my case Qbank was not a good predictor, because my average was about 60% at about 50% complete. Saying that, I didn't do a lot of questions, so my range is also very wide. The best predictor, are the NBME exams, use them to see if you are ready, and to see what areas you are weak in

hello,
can any1 tell me which biochemistry book to read for the step1 exams.......since lippincots biochemistry is a bit long.....??
thanks

Bio chem made ridiculously simple is a pretty good one. Lippincott's is long but it is still good.

hello,
can any1 tell me which biochemistry book to read for the step1 exams.......since lippincots biochemistry is a bit long.....??
thanks

100% without a doubt, Rapid Review Biochem (the new one is the 2nd edition, by pelly and goljan) is the best step 1 biochem review book I have seen.

I have lippincotts and I will never open it again.

Do yourself a favor and get the rapid review, it is step 1 gold.

It's not a great predictor. Variation between blocks can be huge.

If you look at your most recent 300-400 questions, your percentage will have some prognostic value, but not as much as an NBME exam.

I have every book imaginable ( almost ) and I have been seriously thinking about ONLY using FA.

I dont mean NEVER look at anything else, but I was thinking ~30 p a day Meticulous studying of an average of about 15-20 min per page. Looking up stuff I dont understand and filling it in, etc... taking about 2 weeks to do this then reading it again for 1 week and doing Q bank and filling in more stuff then again for 1 week with even more Q bank then taking the test...

I was wondering if anyone has used this method cause I think it may work, but I am not about to base my Step 1 score on it...

I have every book imaginable ( almost ) and I have been seriously thinking about ONLY using FA.

I dont mean NEVER look at anything else, but I was thinking ~30 p a day Meticulous studying of an average of about 15-20 min per page. Looking up stuff I dont understand and filling it in, etc... taking about 2 weeks to do this then reading it again for 1 week and doing Q bank and filling in more stuff then again for 1 week with even more Q bank then taking the test...

I was wondering if anyone has used this method cause I think it may work, but I am not about to base my Step 1 score on it...

I have a lot of books too, but i've restricted myself to FA, BRS path and phys. But what i do is that i have all my books at my reading table and make references to them for deeper understanding and clearification. I also make important notes in my first aid. You don't want to read every book that comes your way because the most important thing is to be able to remember what you've read, the pages you read it and connect the concepts. Too many books at the same time destroys ones ability to picture and remember.;)

I am an average student too. I just used Kaplan and FA. Less books, the better.

It's not a great predictor. Variation between blocks can be huge.

If you look at your most recent 300-400 questions, your percentage will have some prognostic value, but not as much as an NBME exam.
thanks USMELL and lord

~god

100% without a doubt, Rapid Review Biochem (the new one is the 2nd edition, by pelly and goljan) is the best step 1 biochem review book I have seen.

thanks all............

I agree with automan. I read Lippincott's along with lecture slides during first year, which was cool. But for quick 'n dirty review, RR is proving to be a much better choice. Also, the biochemical aspects of pathological states echo Goljan's audios (he co-wrote RR Biochem). I find joy in repetition :)

sure, it'll work, if you're not really shooting for a 250. there are people who use just FA and qbank, and get super high scores, but they were probably very good students to begin with.

ok this is going to sound lame, but what's FA? i'm in australia, and we have pretty different texts, but i'm looking for a new perspective on things...
i'm also looking for some good ways to learn pharmacology and to get it to stick... suggestions?
that would be awesome if anyone has anything to say....
cheers guys

What if one uses first Aid as a review and lippincott biochem to back-it up for better understanding?

Hey guys,

I'm taking my Step 1 in late May, and I have a quick question about the Kaplan Organ Review System books (the 4 black books). Has anyone heard much about or used these books extensively to study from for the boards? I am thinking about just using those 4 Kaplan review books, FA, and QBank mainly to study from... I dont want to get too cluttered with different books for studying

Any feedback would be great, thanks!

I have gotten PM's regarding schedules, so rather than send them out indivdually, I will just post it here. This was a pretty good schedule I found online, just modify it for whatever books you are using

Attachments

• my study schedule.doc
    55 KB · Views: 499
you said that you went over some stuff repeatedly. how did you find the time to do that? i just feel overwhelmed reading robbins and trying to get through pharm, that i barely have enough time to review old stuff.

you said that you went over some stuff repeatedly. how did you find the time to do that? i just feel overwhelmed reading robbins and trying to get through pharm, that i barely have enough time to review old stuff.
You are reading robbins, why? A smaller review book might be a better choice. Also pharm was hit and go for me, at first I taught it wasn't sticking in my brain, but I am amazed by how much, I still remember. I also depended on FA pharm, to help memorize pharm better.

I know it's easy to burn out on this text esp if you've used it for classes. But there's a trick to using Robbins. Only read the stuff in the boxes, study the diagrams/charts, and read the photo captions. After that, do some q's from the Robbin's review book.

I have gotten PM's regarding schedules, so rather than send them out indivdually, I will just post it here. This was a pretty good schedule I found online, just modify it for whatever books you are using
115 views, nice, for those who opened the schedule, was it helpful? I am trying to write a similar guide for my school, so your input would be appreciated.

115 views, nice, for those who opened the schedule, was it helpful? I am trying to write a similar guide for my school, so your input would be appreciated.
So for all those that used the schedule,or liked the guide was it helpful for you?

So for all those that used the schedule,or liked the guide was it helpful for you?

It was good perspective (the strategy you shared). I'm a rather average student, not shooting for 250, would be happy with 225+ but would love to get that 230. I ended up with my own pretty good strategy for the three uninterrupted weeks I have to go (test date is next sat, so almost two intense weeks so far).

I decided to go with a less-is-more with books, limiting to BRS Path and Phys, and FA and qbank. Details I need more info on I look up. Been doing anywhere from 75-150 qbank questions a day (but today am pushing to get it all done, then will do randomized timed 50's of all questions, starting over). I do about an organ system a day, reading FA, BRS path and phys, then highlighting and notations. Take qbank when I get out of focus.