step 1 is getting harder?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent085

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

the usmle website says the passing score is 188 now, and i keep hearing from people that the exam is getting harder?
i know a lot of people who only studied 3Ps and passed the exam a year ago.
my friend took it yesterday, and she said she had a lot of anatomy qs, neuro, and barely had pharm, and said its pretty tough..a lot of molecular cellbio mice questions which she had no clue about (she did both kaplan qs and uworld).

i am taking the exam next month, and im really scared.
I am studying uworld, FA and goljan audio/100pgs hy. i did nbme 4 and 6, and did both uworld assessment 1 and 2.

Any advice on what i should read and improve my score in 3 weeks? i am so freaking out:(

Members don't see this ad.

How could the exam be harder when the minimum is rising or when the mean score is 222 now (instead of 217 a couple years ago?)

hi everyone,

the usmle website says the passing score is 188 now, and i keep hearing from people that the exam is getting harder?
i know a lot of people who only studied 3Ps and passed the exam a year ago.
my friend took it yesterday, and she said she had a lot of anatomy qs, neuro, and barely had pharm, and said its pretty tough..a lot of molecular cellbio mice questions which she had no clue about (she did both kaplan qs and uworld).

i am taking the exam next month, and im really scared.
I am studying uworld, FA and goljan audio/100pgs hy. i did nbme 4 and 6, and did both uworld assessment 1 and 2.

Any advice on what i should read and improve my score in 3 weeks? i am so freaking out:(

You're on track if you're already doing all those things and still have 3 weeks. I took 3 weeks total for all my buckle-down studying.

The exam is not getting harder, but people are getting better at taking it with all the resources available these days. It narrows the bell curve.

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds like my Step I...which I took in 2006

just so many questions they can possibly ask thats fair remember this is a scrutinized test by many and it has to be fair and thats in our favor