Step 1 - Kaplan lecture notes + First aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SS01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I plan to use kaplan lecture notes along with first aid to study for Step 1. However, I've heard a great deal about Goljan/Pathoma for Pathology. Any ideas if this should be added to my study plan, or if Kaplan LN+First aid would be comprehensive enough? Also any comments about Pathoma vs Goljan? I've heard great things about both.. but not sure which to get. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would just substitute the kaplan path section for pathoma, and listen to goljan audio if I had the time. That is, ofcorse, if you follow the opinion of most people that kaplan path sucks big time.

I would just substitute the kaplan path section for pathoma, and listen to goljan audio if I had the time. That is, ofcorse, if you follow the opinion of most people that kaplan path sucks big time.

Right, the Kaplan path book looks really skimpy-seems like it isn't the greatest book. From what I understand Pathoma is a book + audio..any reason to add Goljan audio as well? Is Pathoma not complete? Thanks!

thats too much and no way you'll retain a lot. The kaplan lecture books are meant to be a source of reference to understand things better, not a source of memorizing. Kaplan Medessentials was made exactly for this reason. To encapsulate all the high yield material found in the lecture books into one book.

Read through Kaplan Medessentials (and referencing the lecture books for any topics you dont understand) and highlighting things in Kaplan Medessentials that are found in first aid also is the best strategy. This way you get the material from in my opinion the 2 most trust worthy sources for years and years when it comes to step 1: kaplan and first aid

Members don't see this ad :)
thats too much and no way you'll retain a lot. The kaplan lecture books are meant to be a source of reference to understand things better, not a source of memorizing. Kaplan Medessentials was made exactly for this reason. To encapsulate all the high yield material found in the lecture books into one book.

Read through Kaplan Medessentials (and referencing the lecture books for any topics you dont understand) and highlighting things in Kaplan Medessentials that are found in first aid also is the best strategy. This way you get the material from in my opinion the 2 most trust worthy sources for years and years when it comes to step 1: kaplan and first aid

Stop peddling Kaplan crap. 95% of people don't buy Kaplan med essentials.

Use FA and pathoma. Done. Reference the Kaplan lecture notes if you want. Or use Wikipedia or use up to date. Use whatever on top of FA.

Stop peddling Kaplan crap. 95% of people don't buy Kaplan med essentials.

Use FA and pathoma. Done. Reference the Kaplan lecture notes if you want. Or use Wikipedia or use up to date. Use whatever on top of FA.

Thanks. This is the plan. I got the Kaplan lecture notes to help refresh my memory about things that are not clear in First aid.