Step 1 - My Study Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Your schedule is ambitious but is extremely well done. If you stick to it you should do quite well (230-240+).

Some issues that may come up:

1) For me the most important issue was taking UWorld questions every single day because I felt my base was already pretty solid. I would wake up, eat breakfast, and then do 100 UWorld questions and go over explanations. Although I am sure maximal benefit would come from reading all the explanations, I used my judgment when reading explanations in order to be time-efficient. I would read them if a) I got the question wrong b) I would always read the summary and c) if I had any doubts about the questions.

2) RR Pathology is a great resource but in retrospect you would be better served by really listening to the Goljan audio while reading the book or annotating because the things that I remember appearing on teh exam tended to be things he mentioned. The book has a lot of information more useful for 3rd year clerkships so don't sweat the details, aim for important concepts and recognizing clinical scenarios

3) I do not know about your sleep schedule, but I would not be able to keep up 5-6 hour nights with sleeping at 2am up for very long. Be judicious in quality vs. quantity of study.

4) HY Neuroanatomy took be the better part of 4-5 hours and I read pretty quickly in general. Be cautious about that book, I personally was not a huge fan.

Hope this helps,
DWade

P.S. Should be moved to Step 1 forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
D,

You are the bomb! Thanks for looking over it.

I'm taking your advice to heart... haha

Your schedule is ambitious but is extremely well done. If you stick to it you should do quite well (230-240+).

Some issues that may come up:

1) For me the most important issue was taking UWorld questions every single day because I felt my base was already pretty solid. I would wake up, eat breakfast, and then do 100 UWorld questions and go over explanations. Although I am sure maximal benefit would come from reading all the explanations, I used my judgment when reading explanations in order to be time-efficient. I would read them if a) I got the question wrong b) I would always read the summary and c) if I had any doubts about the questions.

2) RR Pathology is a great resource but in retrospect you would be better served by really listening to the Goljan audio while reading the book or annotating because the things that I remember appearing on teh exam tended to be things he mentioned. The book has a lot of information more useful for 3rd year clerkships so don't sweat the details, aim for important concepts and recognizing clinical scenarios

3) I do not know about your sleep schedule, but I would not be able to keep up 5-6 hour nights with sleeping at 2am up for very long. Be judicious in quality vs. quantity of study.

4) HY Neuroanatomy took be the better part of 4-5 hours and I read pretty quickly in general. Be cautious about that book, I personally was not a huge fan.

Hope this helps,
DWade

P.S. Should be moved to Step 1 forum.

I like your schedule although why don't you take NBME 3 a week before the real deal..isn't 3 the best predictor of your score? Also i would be pretty deflated if i took 3 that early and did poorly...you should just be 100 percent ready before you take nbme 3 assuming it is the real deal. This way you can clearly infer your chances of a good score on the exam..i will probably take fewer NBME's when i start my prep probably take 2, or 5 way earlier in the ballgame and then wait until a week before to take 3, 6. My 2 cents...