Step 1 - NBME 12 - Need help/answers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highscore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The answer in blue is mine, which is wrong. Please give explanations for the right answers, if possible. Thank You...

1. A study is conducted to assess the effectiveness of a registry for identifying patients 50 years old and older eligible for colon cancer screening. Medical practices are selected based on equal and proportional representation of both genders and socioeconomic and ethnic groups, including those who have medical insurance and those who do not. Half of the practices will use the registry for a 15-year period and the other half will provide usual care without the registry during the same period. Results show that the colon cancer mortality rate is decreased in the practices using the registry, and the researchers recommend use of a patient registry to decrease the number of deaths due to colon cancer. Which of the following study characteristics most directly supports the researchers' recommendation?
A. Accuracy
B. External validity
C. Face Validity
D. Precision
E. Reliability

2. An experiment is designed to study the differences between two tissue-specific isozymes of a particular enzyme. The Vmax of enzyme 1 is 300 units of activity per minute per milligram of protein, whereas the Vmax of enzyme 2 is 30 units of activity per minute per milligram of protein. Based on these numbers, which of the following conclusions about the Km values for enzyme 1 and enzyme 2 is most accurate?
A. The Km cannot be predicted based solely on the value of Vmax
B. The Km for enzyme 1 and the Km for enzyme 2 will differ but cannot be quantified with the given data
C. The Km for enzyme 1 is one-tenth the Km for enzyme 2
D.
The Km for enzyme 1 is ten times greater than the Km for enzyme 2 (Is it this??)
E.
They are the same​

A 27-year-old man has had recurrent vesiculoulcerative lesions of the vermilion border of the lips over the past 6 months. The most likely causal virus remains latent in which of the following cell types?
A. Endothelial cell
B. Epithelial cell
C. Macrophage
D. Myocyte
E. Neuron (Is it this??)
F. Osteoclast

4. A 9-year-old boy is brought to the emergency department because of a 6-hour history of fever, headache, and stiff neck. His temperature is 39°C (102.2°F). Physical examination shows nuchal rigidity and a diffuse nonblanching rash. A Gram stain of cerebrospinal fluid shows gram-negative intracellular diplococci. Which of the following components of this pathogen is used to determine serogroup specificity and is a component of the vaccine for this organism?
A. Capsule (Is it this??)
B.
Lipooligosaccharide
C. Peptidoglycan
D. Pili
E. Porin Proteins

5. A 17-year-old boy is brought to the emergency department because of a 2-day history of fever and shortness of breath. He underwent bone marrow transplantation for acute myelogenous leukemia 2 months ago. His temperature is 39°C (102.2°F), and respirations are 32/min. Diffuse crackles are heard over the lung fields on auscultation. A chest x-ray shows interstitial pneumonia. A photomicrograph of a biopsy specimen of the lung tissue is shown. Decreased function of which of the following most likely predisposed this patient to infection?
A. Dendritic cells
B. Eosinophils
C. Mast cells
D. Neutrophils
E. T Lymphocytes (Is it this??)

A 25-year-old man is brought to the emergency department 1 hour after sustaining blunt trauma to the abdomen in a motor vehicle collision. His blood pressure is 70/40 mm Hg. Physical examination shows abdominal distention and diffuse tenderness mainly in the left upper quadrant. Bowel sounds are decreased. Which of the following sets of systemic responses is most likely to occur as a result of sympathetic reflex compensation induced by this patient's condition?
A. Arterial constriction / Venous constriction / Increase Heart rate (Is it this??)
B. Arterial constriction / Venous constriction / Decrease Heart rate
C. Arterial constriction / Venous dilation / Increase Heart rate
D. Arterial constriction / Venous dilation / Decrease Heart rate
E. Arterial dilation / Venous constriction / Increase Heart rate
F. Arterial dilation / Venous constriction / Decrease Heart rate
G. Arterial dilation / Venous dilation / Increase Heart rate
H. Arterial dilation / Venous dilation / Decrease Heart rate​

7. A 70-year-old woman comes to the physician because of frequent crying and difficulty sleeping since her husband died suddenly 3 weeks ago. She has had a 1.4-kg (3-lb) weight loss during this period. She appears tearful. There is no suicidal ideation. Physical examination shows no abnormalities. Which of the following is the most appropriate initial action by the physician?
A. Encouraging the patient to live with a relative
B.
Providing supportive counseling
C. Recommending cognitive behavioral therapy
D. Prescribing antidepressant therapy
E. Prescribing long-acting benzodiazepine therapy (Is it this??)

8. A 55-year-old woman is brought to the physician because of a 6-month-history of progressive difficulty walking. Neurologic examination shows spasticity, hyperreflexia, and clonus in the lower extremities. Babinski sign is present bilaterally. A drug with which of the following mechanisms of action will most likely decrease the spasticity in this patient?
A. Activation of γ-aminobutyric acid receptors in muscle spindle afferents (Is it this??)
B. Activation of glutamate receptors in gamma motoneurons (or this??)
C. Activation of serotonin receptors in alpha motoneurons
D. Inhibition of glycine receptors in Golgi tendon organ afferents
E. Inhibition of nicotinic receptors in Renshaw cells
F. Inhibition of α2 receptors in excitatory interneurons

9. An investigator is studying a large family with many members who are affected by a disorder caused by a fully penetrant autosomal dominant inherited gene mutation. A pedigree is shown. Most affected members also have a rare allele at a locus thought to be closely linked to the disease locus. A father (individual III-3) and his daughter (individual IV-3) have the disorder, but they have the wild-type allele at the linked locus. Which of the following is the most likely cause of these findings?
A. Insertion of a LINE sequence
B. Random segregation
C. Recombination
D. Single nucleotide polymorphism
E. Transduction (Is it this?? Isn't this pedigree Autosomal Dominant??)

10. A 16-year-old girl with type 1 diabetes mellitus is brought to the physician because of a 10-kg (22-lb) weight loss during the past 6 months. The patient reports that she is feeling fine, and she does not think that anything is wrong. She says that she is happy to have lost the weight, and she would like to lose more weight. She says that her diabetes has been in good control, and she is not aware of any insulin reactions. She is 165 cm (5 ft 5 in) tall and now weighs 46 kg (102 lb); BMI is 17 kg/m2. Physical examination shows no other abnormalities. Laboratory studies show a hemoglobin A1c of 8.4%; 6 months ago, it was 5.8%. Which of the following patient behaviors most likely led to her weight loss?
A. Decreasing the amount of self-administered insulin dose
B. Overuse of laxatives
C. Restricting calorie consumption
D. Self-induced vomiting after meals (Is it this??)
E. Starting an intense aerobic exercise program

11. A previously healthy 7-year-old girl is brought to the physician by her parents because of a 1-month history of excessive urination; she also has had a 2.3-kg (5-lb) weight loss during this period. Her pulse is 110/min, and blood pressure is 92/58 mm Hg. Physical examination shows poor skin turgor and a fruity odor to her breath. Her blood glucose concentration is 612 mg/dL. Which of the following is most likely to be decreased in this patient?
A. Arterial P CO2
B. Arterial P O2
C. Serum acetone concentration (Is it this??)
D. Serum potassium concentration
E. Serum triglyceride concentration
F. Serum urea nitrogen concentration

12. A 48-year-old woman comes to the physician because of a 1-year history of progressive ringing in her right ear. She also has felt dizzy while exercising. Neurologic examination shows dysmetria of the right upper and lower extremities. Muscle strength and somatosensory function testing of all extremities shows no abnormalities. Audiometry shows moderate hearing loss in the right ear. An MRI of the brain is most likely to show a mass compressing which of the following labeled structures in the photograph of a cross section of the brain stem?​
itdmedia.aspx

I chose C

13. A 2495-g (5-lb 8-oz) female newborn is delivered at term to a 30-year-old woman who had no prenatal care. Physical examination of the newborn shows jaundice, nasal flaring, and grunting. Laboratory studies show marked anemia and hyperbilirubinemia. Further testing shows that the newborn is blood group O, Rh-positive, and the mother is blood group O, Rh-negative. Which of the following most likely mediated the transplacental transfer of the maternal factor causing this newborn's symptoms?
A. C3b receptor
B. Fc receptor
C. Interleukin-2 (IL-2) receptor
D. α/β T-lymphocyte receptor
E. Transferrin receptor​

Please give explanations for your reasoning. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

There are topics for discussion on NBME answers that have great discussion on most of these, but let me try answering anyway. (If you need more information then just search for that thread)

1. I believe it is face validity, but I can't really explain why
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Face_validity

2. The answer is A, you need to read up on enzyme kinetics, Michaelis-Menten graphs and Lineweaver-Burk plots in order to fully understand this. Remember Km is the concentration of substrate needed to achieve half of Vmax

3. HSV-1 lies dormant in usually the trigeminal ganglion, which is composed of neuronal cell bodies of course.

4. This is Neisseria meningitidis meningitis, so the capsule is what you use to type it, and the polysaccharide capsule (conjugated to some toxoid or something, can't remember exactly) is what is used for the vaccine. This is actually really simple, you should study this again

5. In order to really understand this you would have to look at the picture. Immunosuppressed patient with pneumonia, picture that shows CMV infected cells so decreased cellular immunity -> T lymphocytes

6. Yes, the answer is A. Why whould veins dilate when you're losing blood? The venous system is where the body pools up blood as a reserve. The patient probably has splenic rupture. The venous side of the circulation would constrict in an attempt to increase preload. All that sympathetic stimulation (alpha and beta) would constrict arterioles and venules in an effort to raise BP, and HR would raise as well. Basic physio

7. The patient is showing normal grieving over the loss of her husband. It's only been three weeks. No need to prescribe anything, especially not benzos (why would you give benzos?). The answer is probably B, but I'm not 100% sure

8. As far as I can tell they're probably referring to baclofen, so A

9. Can't remember the pedigree, but out of pure memory I think someone said it was recombination

10. It's C

11. It says which is most likely to be decreased - the patient is in diabetic ketoacidosis, so the patient will hyperventilate as a response (Kussmaul breathing) and bring down arterial PCO2 (everything else will be either high or normal in DKA)

12. really, don't know - always had a lot of trouble with these, luckily only got one on my test, I think I chose C as well when I took nbme 12 :D

13. The patient has erythroblastosis fetalis which means that there was transplacental transfer of anti-Rh IgG from the mother to the baby, so B, Fc receptor

Thank you and sorry for the delayed response. I had an emergency and had to go out of town. Thanx for all your answers. I really appreciate it..

1. External validity. this property applies to recommendations based on a generalization drawn from experimental data. look it up on wiki. not face validity. that has to do with whether a test SEEMS like it will do a good job of evaluating what it is set up to evaluate. no recommendation is involved.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are topics for discussion on NBME answers that have great discussion on most of these, but let me try answering anyway. (If you need more information then just search for that thread)

1. I believe it is face validity, but I can't really explain why
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Face_validity

2. The answer is A, you need to read up on enzyme kinetics, Michaelis-Menten graphs and Lineweaver-Burk plots in order to fully understand this. Remember Km is the concentration of substrate needed to achieve half of Vmax

3. HSV-1 lies dormant in usually the trigeminal ganglion, which is composed of neuronal cell bodies of course.

4. This is Neisseria meningitidis meningitis, so the capsule is what you use to type it, and the polysaccharide capsule (conjugated to some toxoid or something, can't remember exactly) is what is used for the vaccine. This is actually really simple, you should study this again

5. In order to really understand this you would have to look at the picture. Immunosuppressed patient with pneumonia, picture that shows CMV infected cells so decreased cellular immunity -> T lymphocytes

6. Yes, the answer is A. Why whould veins dilate when you're losing blood? The venous system is where the body pools up blood as a reserve. The patient probably has splenic rupture. The venous side of the circulation would constrict in an attempt to increase preload. All that sympathetic stimulation (alpha and beta) would constrict arterioles and venules in an effort to raise BP, and HR would raise as well. Basic physio

7. The patient is showing normal grieving over the loss of her husband. It's only been three weeks. No need to prescribe anything, especially not benzos (why would you give benzos?). The answer is probably B, but I'm not 100% sure

8. As far as I can tell they're probably referring to baclofen, so A

9. Can't remember the pedigree, but out of pure memory I think someone said it was recombination

10. It's C

11. It says which is most likely to be decreased - the patient is in diabetic ketoacidosis, so the patient will hyperventilate as a response (Kussmaul breathing) and bring down arterial PCO2 (everything else will be either high or normal in DKA)

12. really, don't know - always had a lot of trouble with these, luckily only got one on my test, I think I chose C as well when I took nbme 12 :D

13. The patient has erythroblastosis fetalis which means that there was transplacental transfer of anti-Rh IgG from the mother to the baby, so B, Fc receptor

10. is A. "Decreasing recommended insulin dose." Her HbA1c went from 5 to 8 or whatever in 6 months, You wouldn't get this with calorie restriction. She says she has no side effects whatsoever from the insulin. Possibly a clue... Also, her BMI is 17 which is also consistent with decreased insulin use. Oh, and finally, her attitude shows that she's really weight conscious.

Explanation to this question:

12. A 48-year-old woman comes to the physician because of a 1-year history of progressive ringing in her right ear. She also has felt dizzy while exercising. Neurologic examination shows dysmetria of the right upper and lower extremities. Muscle strength and somatosensory function testing of all extremities shows no abnormalities. Audiometry shows moderate hearing loss in the right ear. An MRI of the brain is most likely to show a mass compressing which of the following labeled structures in the photograph of a cross section of the brain stem?

- Ans. A.

- This presentation of acoustic neuroma.The tumor mass of Rt. vestibulocochlear nerve will compress cerebellopontine angle if it's large enough. answer is the structure A (inferior cerebellar peduncle). The following link shows clear anatomic structure at that region

- its an ipsilateral lesion as you know cerebellar signs are ipsilateral
- The right side of the pt.is affected.
- the inferior cerebellar peduncle is associated with schwannoma and VIII

http://www.bioon.com/bioline/neurosci/course/brstem.html

read section (F) Hearing and balance, where you'll find the exact anatomic section.