Step 1 related questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shejeboshease

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just started studying for the boards...and realized that i should have started lot sooner than this...but anywho i have some basic questions..it would be great if some of you try to answer them.

1. like mcat, is every one of the seven blocks of step 1 is relevant to just one topic (for example, microbiology block will have just microbiology related questions?). as for the record, the seven blocks are behav. science, biochem, embryology, microbiology, immunology, pathology, and pharmacology.

2. in my m2 year this year, we are just about to start a 3 week long course of women's health..since it's not one of the step 1 topic, this course is probably not gonna be very helpful with step 1 preparation?

3. on average, how much are you guys studying for the boards during school?

4. i remember for the mcat, i took about 25-30 practice mcat before i took the real one. on average, how many practice step1 do people take?

5. as for the practice questions and practice full length step 1 resources, i will have access to worldbank for 3 months. i will also do the free one the step 1 site and buy their one full length step1 if they have it available? what are some of the other sources you guys are using for practice materials?

thanks again

Members don't see this ad.

There's a step 1 forum where you can get these questions answered. In the meantime, I can try and answer a few.

Practice tests -> I'm planning on taking 3 full length practice tests, but I'm a lot doing a lot of random questions through the Qbank.

During school -> I'm studying about 20 minutes a day. I'll step that up a little closer to May, but right now I think the best thing I can do for myself is really learn the information in the courses.

Women's Health -> YES, this information will be on the boards. Most of the questions are clinical, and certainly pregnant women (and other women) have all sorts of interesting problems the boards can ask questions about.

Blocks -> As I understand, the questions will be random and not divided into a "microbiology block" and a "pathology block."

I would suggest buying First Aid for the USMLE as a way to start understanding the exam.

i just started studying for the boards...and realized that i should have started lot sooner than this...but anywho i have some basic questions..it would be great if some of you try to answer them.

1. like mcat, is every one of the seven blocks of step 1 is relevant to just one topic (for example, microbiology block will have just microbiology related questions?). as for the record, the seven blocks are behav. science, biochem, embryology, microbiology, immunology, pathology, and pharmacology.

No. Just blocks of time. All questions integrated.

2. in my m2 year this year, we are just about to start a 3 week long course of women's health..since it's not one of the step 1 topic, this course is probably not gonna be very helpful with step 1 preparation?

Check First Aid for Step 1, if the subject is there it is relavent

3. on average, how much are you guys studying for the boards during school?

Use the Grid books as you go through. Esp Costanza Physiology , the Pathology grid, and the Anatomy Grid. First Aid also is great for highlighting what needs to "stick" in your head for the Step. Embryology is not heavy - can use a High Yield for that.

Basically, if you review in your intense study, you will do well. You want to make sure you want to have emphasized the material that you will be reviewing later.

4. i remember for the mcat, i took about 25-30 practice mcat before i took the real one. on average, how many practice step1 do people take?

Finish Q Bank.

5. as for the practice questions and practice full length step 1 resources, i will have access to worldbank for 3 months. i will also do the free one the step 1 site and buy their one full length step1 if they have it available? what are some of the other sources you guys are using for practice materials?

if you feel the need to do full lenght or half length exams, do NOT do them the week before the test. It just freaks you out. Do it at the half way point?

thanks again

There is no reason to be intensely studying at this point if your school gives you some time later on. My school gave us 6 weeks to study. I took 3 days OFF, did 5 1/2 weeks of intense (8-12 hrs/day) study. Each week, I took 5 days to do "new" material, 1 day for review of the review, and one day off. I studied 2 days per subject in most cases, a few more where needed. 1st day was embryology and anatomy. Second day was physiology and pathology. Used FA as a guide and supplemented heavily with grids and high yields. Also did min 50 q a day from Q Bank. Make sure to study the answers. Did well. Others using this strategy did better than me, but I was well above avg.

Key is to learn the material as it is taught so that you are reviewing with studying and to keep to your schedule. Also add in wiggle room so that you don't stress yourself out too much. If you say 12 hrs a day every day, you may not be able to do that but if you say avg 10 hrs a day, that may be doable.

In case you are wondering why the response from someone not about to take the Step I, I am a M4 who is occupying myself with other things while awaiting tomorrow. Best of luck.

hats off to ppl who can pull off 10 hrs a day of studying... i think i max out at 6. So for me the best strategy is to extend my studying over 2 or so months accordingly.

i'm studying about an hour/day right now. even if the material doesn't stick, going through it once and organizing/annotating my materials now should give me an advantage come summer... so i wont be forcing myself to study 10 hrs (which i dunno if i can do even if i try so better to study a lot now and be safe than sorry)