STEP 1 Score for Harvard and John Hopkins

Started by nepo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nepo

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello there!
I was wondering about the score, that would most certainly lead to a match in neurology, internal medicine, psychiatry or plastic surgery in either Harvard or John Hopkins...Does anybody know what the minimum score might be? I am an international student from Munich! I have some research and pretty good grades, but unfortunately no paper yet...How important is a paper or a journal entry actually for the match system?
Thank you very much in advance for your responces 🙂
 
As an FMG, your chances of matching at those hospitals, or in plastic surgery as a whole, are VERY slim no matter what your step 1 score is. You will need to apply to a large number of programs and may only get a few interviews. Research may help you somewhat if you publish in a well-known journal. You need to get clinical experience in the US as well.

Moving to international forum as OP is still a student.
 
These are all very different specialties with different levels of competitiveness. What do you want to do?

There is no minimum or maximum step 1 score that would lead to a match at these programs, whilst the higher you score the better, there is no guarantee - likewise i scored well below the average and still interviewed at these programs. You need to have connections, have done US electives in those specialties, have good letters of recommendation, and having (multiple) publications in the field you are applying to is very important too.

neurology is probably most open to foreigners at these sorts of programs, followed by psychiatry.

without already having been a surgeon/plastic surgeon with a track record and academic prowess you will not be able to secure a match in plastics at these sorts of programs, indeed any sort of program.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am not sure yet what I want to do, but I am mainly thinking about neurology-psychiatry right now...Well, how are connections important, I thought that matching is almost only based on your score and maybe research??? So there is really no possibility for an international student to match to a good residency in the US either on good institutions or in cities like New York City?
 
As an international medical graduate, it is very hard to match into top residency programs in the U.S. Matching in the U.S is not purely based on scores + research. You will also need to have U.S clinical experience, letters of recommendation (preferably from U.S doctors) and an interview. Matching to the U.S is a very long and difficult process. You might be able to match into average programs in big cities like NYC especially in the less competitive specialties like (fm, im, peds, psych and possibly neurology), but plastic surgery is near impossible at any program.
 
I am not sure yet what I want to do, but I am mainly thinking about neurology-psychiatry right now...Well, how are connections important, I thought that matching is almost only based on your score and maybe research??? So there is really no possibility for an international student to match to a good residency in the US either on good institutions or in cities like New York City?
I can tell you that we have a neurology resident from France at our program, which is not nearly the status of Hopkins or Harvard. He scored a 270+ on his Step 1 and said he was limited on his interview options. Shoot me a message if you'd like anymore details.
 
I think it's hilarious IMG's think they will match in one of the most competitive medical specialties at one of the two most well regarded medical training programs in the world. Like really? Unless you have completed a residency in your home country, and published some earth shattering research, not going to happen.
 
I think it's hilarious IMG's think they will match in one of the most competitive medical specialties at one of the two most well regarded medical training programs in the world. Like really? Unless you have completed a residency in your home country, and published some earth shattering research, not going to happen.

Well I think it's hilarious when condescending jerks make statements while being uninformed. Someone from my school (less than "big 4" carib) matched into one of those exact programs the OP mentioned.
 
Well I think it's hilarious when condescending jerks make statements while being uninformed. Someone from my school (less than "big 4" carib) matched into one of those exact programs the OP mentioned.

I don't believe you. I imagine they matched into one of the campuses that is branded by the institution but is not actually the same thing. Both institutions have community hospital programs as $$$ makers that have nothing to do with the real hospital. People who don't know what is up often see those matches and don't realize it's not in the same universe in terms of education or competitiveness. Same thing with stuff like "Mayo" jacksonville FL.
 
I don't believe you. I imagine they matched into one of the campuses that is branded by the institution but is not actually the same thing. Both institutions have community hospital programs as $$$ makers that have nothing to do with the real hospital. People who don't know what is up often see those matches and don't realize it's not in the same universe in terms of education or competitiveness. Same thing with stuff like "Mayo" jacksonville FL.

There are 3 General Surgery residents at MGH who are IMGs. One from venezuela, one from germany and one from pakistan. My guess is, these people were probably ranked #1 in their respective medical schools and outperformed native americans. Out of the 9 primary care IM residents at MGH in 1st year there is 1 IMG from Israel. Clearly, its possible for true IMGs, not so much for Americans who couldn't get into medical school IMGs. Then again, most people who can't get into medical school in the US don't expect top residency program anyways, they just want something.

http://www.massgeneral.org/surgery/assets/pdfs/ResidentList082211.pdf
 
Hello there!
I was wondering about the score, that would most certainly lead to a match in neurology, internal medicine, psychiatry or plastic surgery in either Harvard or John Hopkins...Does anybody know what the minimum score might be? I am an international student from Munich! I have some research and pretty good grades, but unfortunately no paper yet...How important is a paper or a journal entry actually for the match system?
Thank you very much in advance for your responces 🙂

As an FMG, your chance of matching are slim to a top program, even with a 260. Where you went to medical school is important. Being from Germany, France, or the UK, especially at a well known med school is a plus. West European and Israeli med schools are regarded pretty well as is Cornell in Qatar .

Out of the 9 primary care IM residents at MGH in 1st year there is 1 IMG from Israel. Clearly, its possible for true IMGs, not so much for Americans who couldn't get into medical school IMGs.

And hopkins IM has 1 from Brazil and 2 from Ireland. That said, these people tend to be superstars.