step 1 score for neuro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artsydoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A very similar question was just posted but I have an add on question if you don't mind... I'm an M3 who just got a step 1 of 216 (disappointing, but also relieved I suppose!) I was hoping someone might be able to tell me if I still would have a realistic shot at neuro and what I can do over the course of M3 to improve my chances. I'm at the middle of my class, but haven't done any research. Medicine is a second career so I have an interesting background but not all the science and lab/research that many of my classmates have and programs value.
http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2011.pdf

That 2011 match study should ease your fears. Of the U.S. seniors who ranked neuro with a score between 211 and 220, 56 matched and 1 didn't.

I just got my score: 214. I'm a bit disappointed but overall I'm glad it's over and it shouldn't hold me back.

Thank you so much! I want neuro or psych I think and I know I should be ok numbers wise for psych but wasn't so sure for neuro.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I posted something like this a little while ago. I also did some research. First of all, though we all love neurology/psychiatry/"awesome brain stuff", we should realize that neurology is still a relatively uncompetitive specialty to match into. Charting the outcomes from 2011 data is very reassuring to those of us that may not have "aced" Step 1. Most programs will not screen out your application with scores >200 and no failed attempts. I'm sure "top notch" places (i.e. Partners, Hopkins, Columbia, UCSF, Penn, etc.) would prefer applicants with higher board scores, but even then, some people have managed to score interviews there.

From what I have heard from other residents and friends who recently matched Neuro, it's important to have good LORs, a strong passion for neuro, and a great personal statement on top of whatever scores and research you may have. Yes... personal statements are looked at pretty closely!

I think in general, if you are a US grad, and have a decent application, you will get plenty of interviews and will match. Do well clinically, get good evals, and try to improve your score on Step 2!

Thank you for sharing-big range of scores I see...