step 1 score of 203 - is ophthal match gone? don't laugh too hard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StopDreaming

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my score today of 203/84, disappointing to say the least since I scored higher on the practice exams. My other stats:
- No honor in clerkships (good evals, but poor shelf scores, had to re-test 2x). but 4-5 honors in electives, independent studies and medicine sub-I.
- Multiple research publication in other fields (electrical engineering, surgery), working on ophthal research but no publications yet at time of application. Doing a research year to bolster my app

- Step 2 yet to come.
- U.S. citizen

Do I have a chance to get into any ophthal program in the country? Or should I just cut my losses and apply for ER or something.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just got my score today of 203/84, disappointing to say the least since I scored higher on the practice exams. My other stats:
- No honor in clerkships (good evals, but poor shelf scores, had to re-test 2x). but 4-5 honors in electives, independent studies and medicine sub-I.
- Multiple research publication in other fields (electrical engineering, surgery), working on ophthal research but no publications yet at time of application. Doing a research year to bolster my app

- Step 2 yet to come.
- U.S. citizen

Do I have a chance to get into any ophthal program in the country? Or should I just cut my losses and apply for ER or something.

Thanks.

1. Are you an IMG at an off-shore school.
2. Emergency Medicine programs average score is much higher than 203 and don't like being considered back-ups.
3. Talk to an advisor at your school.

- Step 2 yet to come.
- U.S. citizen

Thanks.

I think you should look at "NRMP Charting Outcomes for the Match," just to get a better idea of where your score might stand.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, you should take your question to the Ophthalmology forum for a clearer answer.

My adive is to continue to pursue Ophtho if that's what you want. USMLE scores are one piece of the equation, and the matching score averages are just that...averages. Plus, you still have the opportuity to rock the USMLE Step 2. Hard work, good performance on your rotation (for outstanding LOR's), and ramping up your effort levels to be involved in some manner of research project would help. I would also definitely speak to the Ophtho attendings at your institution including the residency PD) for guidance and advice.

Good luck.

I'm not sure if this would work but if anyone knows then feel free to chime in: do a 3 year residency in IM and then apply for optho residency. Personally I think your step 1 score wouldn't be as important. I don't know how programs would rank you or what that process is but it might give you a better shot.

If that is not an option then personally I think the score and your other stats put ophtho at a point that is very difficult to reach. You run the risk of researching for an entire year never to match because your grades were not good enough. If ER is your second choice below ophtho I would just go for that. You will most likely match somewhere in ER. Apply very broadly but it isn't hard to match ER and don't tell them it was your second option obviously. Good luck.

I'm not sure if this would work but if anyone knows then feel free to chime in: do a 3 year residency in IM and then apply for optho residency. Personally I think your step 1 score wouldn't be as important. I don't know how programs would rank you or what that process is but it might give you a better shot.

If that is not an option then personally I think the score and your other stats put ophtho at a point that is very difficult to reach. You run the risk of researching for an entire year never to match because your grades were not good enough. If ER is your second choice below ophtho I would just go for that. You will most likely match somewhere in ER. Apply very broadly but it isn't hard to match ER and don't tell them it was your second option obviously. Good luck.

Is... that even doable?

OP - ophtho has been requiring increasingly competitive scores for the past few years... average match score was in the mid-240s last year, and only getting higher.

I don't want to be a debbie downer, but it's tough to match with a 203. I would however consult your advisors about it and see if there's things that could help (i.e. a year of basic research off, clinical grades, etc). Also it doesn't hurt as much to try and apply anyway because it's an early match... so you can interview for something like medicine or surgery in the meantime if you like.

I'm going to have to say that with a below-average Step 1 and no honors in core clerkships that your chances of matching successfully in ophtho are quite low.

That only way that I could see you being successful is crushing Step 2 (like 260+, which honestly isn't very likely with your Step 1 score and your apparently poor test-taking skills based off your problems with shelf exams), plus honoring several ophtho audition rotations and getting glowing LORs from well-known faculty. Even then your chances aren't good.

203 isn't highly competitive for EM either (although you'd have a decent chance applying broadly), and referring to the specialty as ER in interviews would kill your chances.

Last edited:
Never say never...but it will be less than 10% if you kill Step 2, which does not appear to be a " real" option.

I would strongly advise you look around for other areas you may like.

The average for EM is a around 220-225 so that is not a given.

I would look more into the bottom areas like FM, IM, Peds, or Psy.

sorry......:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for being such an idiot, but what does the 84 in 203/84 mean? I haven't done my reading on the Step 1.

The 2 digit score for the Step 1 (A pass is normalized to about 75). Generally speaking this score is not used for residency purposes at all but some state licensures require a 2 digit score.

The 2 digit score for the Step 1 (A pass is normalized to about 75). Generally speaking this score is not used for residency purposes at all but some state licensures require a 2 digit score.

The "99" is the golden standard for FMGs. Why this is the case is beyond me. Maybe it mattered 10 years ago, and out-of-the-country advisors are still advocating its use. Some foolish attendings (usually those who have no say in admission) believe it is a percentile. Its not.

The reason it comes up is because a 99 is around a 230. Once you get better than 230, you always have a 99. Many program directors have quoted a cut off of 230 for consideration. Thus, the 230=99 has been perpetuated across the intarwebs. Really, the higher the three digit, the better your chances, as the three digit score does not peak at 99 (though the two digit does).

- Step 2 yet to come.
- U.S. citizen

Thanks.

Honestly, Optho has cut offs. I've got 4 optho prelims in my program. I have a couple who matched together in Optho. I know its anecdotal, but 6/6 optho residents have told me its 230 or they wont even look at your file. Some are 225, some are 235, but all around 230. Far from your score. Sure, talk to the Optho department. Sure, talk to a counselor. Don't just give up right away. But realistically, I would drop Optho.

I know it sounds mean. And who am I to tell you that you can't do what you want? Fine. If you have some magic way into a program (great connections or blackmail) then go for it. I will offer realistic, hard, unfair, and mean advice. If you are just a regular med student who is just going through the medical school flow, and really want to be an opthomologist, I would "Stop Dreaming" and find a passion in something else. Step is not an evaluation of anything but how well you can take a multiple choice exam. It is also (very unfortunately) the only objective piece of data a residency program has.

Focus your energy on doing well on Step 2 and moving forward. Get yourself a residency. While optho is 'so awesome,' its relative. Being a family practitioner is still being a doctor, and a hell of a lot better than most people in this country (or others).

The "99" is the golden standard for FMGs. Why this is the case is beyond me. Maybe it mattered 10 years ago, and out-of-the-country advisors are still advocating its use. Some foolish attendings (usually those who have no say in admission) believe it is a percentile. Its not.

The reason it comes up is because a 99 is around a 230. Once you get better than 230, you always have a 99. Many program directors have quoted a cut off of 230 for consideration. Thus, the 230=99 has been perpetuated across the intarwebs. Really, the higher the three digit, the better your chances, as the three digit score does not peak at 99 (though the two digit does).

Honestly, Optho has cut offs. I've got 4 optho prelims in my program. I have a couple who matched together in Optho. I know its anecdotal, but 6/6 optho residents have told me its 230 or they wont even look at your file. Some are 225, some are 235, but all around 230. Far from your score. Sure, talk to the Optho department. Sure, talk to a counselor. Don't just give up right away. But realistically, I would drop Optho.

I know it sounds mean. And who am I to tell you that you can't do what you want? Fine. If you have some magic way into a program (great connections or blackmail) then go for it. I will offer realistic, hard, unfair, and mean advice. If you are just a regular med student who is just going through the medical school flow, and really want to be an opthomologist, I would "Stop Dreaming" and find a passion in something else. Step is not an evaluation of anything but how well you can take a multiple choice exam. It is also (very unfortunately) the only objective piece of data a residency program has.

Focus your energy on doing well on Step 2 and moving forward. Get yourself a residency. While optho is 'so awesome,' its relative. Being a family practitioner is still being a doctor, and a hell of a lot better than most people in this country (or others).

Not that he's limited to family practice of course. He can still apply and probably match in Surgery, Medicine, or Peds with that score.

Not that he's limited to family practice of course. He can still apply and probably match in Surgery, Medicine, or Peds with that score.

Sure, Family is usually the "bottom of the barrel" in terms of competitiveness. And, (correct me if I;m wrong) since he's an FMG with a poor academic record, the most likely place for him to end up is in the least competitive field (even if it is in Nebraska).

Sure, Family is usually the "bottom of the barrel" in terms of competitiveness. And, (correct me if I;m wrong) since he's an FMG with a poor academic record, the most likely place for him to end up is in the least competitive field (even if it is in Nebraska).

According to this thread he's a US grad. He'd be within a SD of the mean for FM, PM&R, and psych. I think he'd have a good shot at most specialties if he applied wisely, but the ROAD specialties are probably out of reach with that Step score.

I think he's a US grad

just enjoy and do well 3rd year. maybe do a research year. you'll be fine.

probably not surgery......

75% (60/80) of US surgery applicants with scores of 201 to 210 matched. If the OP is interested in surgery, he would have a decent chance at getting a spot, although it would be a good idea to have a backup plan.